Hair line gel-coat crack! Everywhere!

LX Kid

Ensign
My '82 Grady White has been sitting for about 3 years needing electrical and mechanical repairs. Last week I have been hitting it hard to get everything squared away so I can start fishing again. I normally don't notice the starboard side of the boat but walked around looking at the hull and noticed lot's and lot's of hardline cracks in the gel-coat. What can be done? They go from bow to stern and need attention. Does this mean that I should have the whole hull professionally painted/coated. Don't really know how to attack this problem. I've got way too much money in this old girl to let her run down any further. I'll try and post some pics of the cracks a little later.

S6002319.jpg

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... post some pics of the cracks,....

LX Kid

Ensign
Some of what I thought were cracks disappeared after using "Purple Power" to clean them. Maybe algae lines of something of the sort were looking like cracks. First pic is side view where I believe former owner let the bumpers rub between the dock and the boat's side and maybe did some cracking damage. Last pic is the gun rail, which I had painted years ago with "Topside" paint and has held up rather well.

20160411_131651_resized_zpsjbb94p6e.jpg

20160411_131630_resized_zpswoqri2dt.jpg

20160411_131712_resized_zps6hyn0lwj.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Impact / deflection cracking.

Those thru hulls fittings are beyond bad. They could go at anytime leaving 1 1/8" diameter hole at the water line. I would highly recommend changing them before using the boat.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If you can get to the inside check to see if there's and cracking, it would show up as light colored steaks in the laminate. If it's painted on the inside you won't be able to see anything. Having it repaired can be costly because if they don't do it right the cracks will come back.

LX Kid

Ensign
If you can get to the inside check to see if there's and cracking, it would show up as light colored steaks in the laminate. If it's painted on the inside you won't be able to see anything. Having it repaired can be costly because if they don't do it right the cracks will come back.

Does it hurt the serviceability of the boat? When it was running I just kept it clean and waxed.

LX Kid

Ensign
Impact / deflection cracking.

Those thru hulls fittings are beyond bad. They could go at anytime leaving 1 1/8" diameter hole at the water line. I would highly recommend changing them before using the boat.

Yes your right! I already have bought a new one and will replace it soon. Thanks

I think at some time in the boats life it was tied up to the dock and went thru a storm/hurricane or something. The starboard bow was already damaged when I got her and my son fiberglassed the hole and still looks great.

S6001010-1.jpg

S6001079.jpg