Fuel tank filler hose and fuel cap?

DarthVader

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello everyone,I hope this is the correct place to ask this ?

I have a 1989 Sea Nymph SS- 175,I had went and fuel the boat up to start getting it ready to go fishing hopefully in the next couple weeks and I notice that I could smell gas thinking that maybe it is just from filling the boat up with gas.. I did notice that I had a small leak around the filler tube on the top and bottom of the hose and notice that the clamps where a little loose,so I tighten both the top and bottom clamps which they where just a little loose nothing major only turned them one full turn with a screw driver..

So I waited a couple days and I still can smell gas,so it still looks like I have small leak around the filler tube,I am not sure where the fuel smell is coming from,I took the fuel cap off which I can not believe I had to use a pair of channel locks on it,I am not sure why the cap was so tight as I did not put the fuel cap on that tight that I had to use a pair of channel locks to get it off..I did notice that it was a little wet around the fuel cap..

Can anyone tell me why I am still smelling gas?

Could it be I need to replace the filler tube and put new clamps and possibly a new fuel cap and neck.? I just know every time I go to take the fuel cap off I need to use a pair of channel locks when I know I did not put the fuel cap on that tight.

If I need to replace ether or all these parts can someone tell me what size is the filler tube which I not sure the size is,I know it is a rubber hose and is made for gas..

I also like to mention that when I took the gas cover off the gas was still right up to the top off the filler tube maybe around a inch from the very top..

I just can figure why I am smelling gas when the tank still shows full..So I really hope that someone here can help me figure why I am smell gas or gas fumes.

Thank You for any help you give me it be greatly appreciated..

alldodge

Staff member
I did notice that it was a little wet around the fuel cap..

I just know every time I go to take the fuel cap off I need to use a pair of channel locks when I know I did not put the fuel cap on that tight.

I also like to mention that when I took the gas cover off the gas was still right up to the top off the filler tube maybe around a inch from the very top..

I think your problem is that your tank is to full. It's no problem filling the tank up to where the fuel is inside the neck, but you should be going out that day. So your able to use the fuel up which is in the fill hose.

The expansion and contraction of the fuel is applying pressure to the cap "possibly". This added vacuum or pressure may be causing the issue with removing the cap. If this is happening, check your vent line, it's probably clogged.

This can also be the issue with finding gas around the hose connections. It doesn't take much gas to smell it

Oh, and the fill hose should be a wire wound hard rubber hose. Cost can be around $5 a foot or more

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No idea why you need pliers to take off the cap unless it's cross threaded. Can you see any size markings on the hose?

Guessing the gas smell is because the tank is over-filled, Gas up to the top of the filler means the tank has little or no expansion air space and the gas may be expanding out of the vent. Gas will expand as it warms up and it has to go somewhere, usually out of the vent.

Seeing gas around the filler indicates the vent may not be clear or the hose is kinked.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The hose itself is usually 1-1/2" marine rated hose. Sounds like you are overfilling it, and the vent is expelling fuel and fumes more that normal. If the hose has any weather checking it needs to be replaced.

DarthVader

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks everyone for your help,I will agree that I might of over filled my tank as was mentioned,I will also pull the hose of the vent and blow it out with a air hose to make sure it is not clogged as you all mentioned,I will also blow out the vent itself..Just to be on the safe side I will get something to suck out some of the fuel at least enough to get it below the filler tube..Oh before I forget your correct on the filler tube hose being rubber with wire wrapped on the inside of it..

I will have to wait to do all this when the weather gets better as where have some crazy stupid weather and temps out here in the Northeastern NY,we just got 6 inches of snow Wednesday and the next day it rained like hell and got rid of all that snow and today its snowing again..I am hoping the weather will be a lot nicer in the next 2 weeks as there calling for more rain and snow and the temps are still below 30 degrees here for all of next week and they said the temps will start warming up..

Thank again for all your help..

Last edited:

DarthVader

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello everyone just a little update,

I manage to get the air vent hose and air vent off today,I blew out both the hose and the air vent out,there seem to be a little bit of debris in the air vent but I did not think it was enough to cause it to blocked but I blew it any ways just to be safe,I did not have time to hook it all up,I hoping I get a chance tomorrow if the weather is nice out,once it is hooked up I am sure I need to wait a whole day or 2 to see if I smell any gas fumes..

I also went and seen my friend who runs the marina just down the road from me where I store my boat during the winter and he said I should be fine,he did mention to me to double check the filler tube and make sure that the top and bottom clamps are tight.he also said when you tighten them to make sure you do not tighten them to hard just in case the filler neck on the tank is plastic as you could easily crack it the same goes for the top part where the fuel cap goes on.

I am not 100% sure but for some reason I think the one where the cap goes was metal and the tank end it was plastic,so when I do tighten them I will make sure as I do not want to have to buy a new fuel tank,the cap end would not be to bad but still do not want to crack ether one..

Now just to let you all know that when I did take of the vent and vent hose off I did notice I could not smell and gas fumes so I am hoping that it was just the vent that was causing the issue with gas fumes I will check everything out tomorrow if the weather is nice.. the other thing I did not get the chance to check after I took off the vent hose is if the gas cap was easy to take off will also check that out at the same time.

I do how ever have another question about the fuel cap,can you tell me are all marine style gas caps all the same size?

I was thinking about buying a new fuel cap one that is a little bit easier to grab a hold of( reason being the one on boat now is very hard to get your fingers and hand on as it is very low profile) and one with maybe a vent built into the cap and possibly one that locks not that I really need the lock part but it would not hurt to have one..

If the fuel caps are different size should I just buy a new cap and and filler neck that hooks to the filler tube.?

If you all can let me know what would you recommend on a new complete fuel cap assembly should I get,

Please post a link to the ones you would recommend and suggest I should get....

Again Thank you all for your help on this issue..

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Most fuel hoses are 1-1/2" as I said before. The cap and plate come in serval different arrangements, but the hose size should remain the same. it's best to check the hose size before buying a new one. Also at least try to find one with the same location for the screw holes, then you wont have to fill the old ones and re-drill, might not find one you like that way though.

DarthVader

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I will make sure to measure the hose size and measure the hole size as well before I would order a new fuel cap..Thanks for your help..

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
sounds like youre vent is defanetly cloged to me. Napa has a flexible 1 1/2 fuel hose that is preaty nice