1995 Grumman 1784 TC rebuild

dearl

Seaman
Worked on the boat some this week, splash well has a ton of holes in it, got the smaller holes welded up. Going to cut some blanks to fit the larger holes and weld those up too. Going to move the fuel fill so That one gets plugged. Also started putting stringers back in. I'll post some more shots tomorrow.

dearl

Seaman
Some shots of the finished rivets. Replaced the old rivets with 3/16 x 5/16 brazier heads sealed with 5200. It tightened the stringers up considerably. Got the next 2 stringers out and found some nasty corrosion under one of them, plan to wire brush it, then acid clean, then pack it with JB and sand smooth. Looking at this corrosion I think we'll pull them all and check under them.

dearl

Seaman
Got a little work done this week. Still working on corrosion control, using diluted Muriatic acid, a stainless brush, then a good washing, then as a precaution baking soda mix sprayed liberally on everything, then another good wash. Pretty time consuming, but with the degree of corrosion on some areas, I'd rather spend more time on it now than have issues later down the road. Started laying down the JB in the bad pits, Hoping to finish with the corrosion and stringers this week.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Thorough job addressing the corrosion! Very impressive! :thumb:

...and how 'bout those rivets! :madgrin:
IMG_2539_zpshuogvxdy.jpg

dearl

Seaman
Thorough job addressing the corrosion! Very impressive! :thumb:

...and how 'bout those rivets! :madgrin:
IMG_2539_zpshuogvxdy.jpg

Thanks Classiccat, Man I've hand bucked many of rivets, but this Eastwood rivet gun is the cats meow! At 40 psi this thing melts rivets. I switched from the 3/16x 5/16 brazier heads to a 3/16x1/2 brazier and really like how much better the tail bucks. Nice and stout with plenty of meat left over. I put some 1/4"x1/2" braziers in a friends boat over the weekend, man it turned out nice.

dearl

Seaman
Got a little time to do a few things on the boat yesterday. Got all the current corrosion pit JB sanded down on the floor, and 2 stringers installed. Replaced some rivets in the nose Bulkhead. Primed the open bow area that will be painted. All the scratches and dents lit up like a Christmas tree! Broke down the splash well for primer/paint and new sealant. Hoping to be able to spend a little more time on the boat this week.

Splash well side sanded to bare metal

New nose bulkhead rivets in

Open bow area that will be painted is primed

dearl

Seaman
Got a little work done last night. Re-installed the first 4 stringers, ZC Primered the stringers and floor area then re-installed stringers with 3/16 x 1/2" brazier heads dipped in 5200. Removed the next 4 stringers, a couple came out in pieces. Plan to fix those today, prep the floor area just like the first 4 stringers, then re-install and move on to the last 4 stringers. I'm ready to be done with this part, drilling out rivets sucks!

dearl

Seaman
Ok, corrosion under stringers 5- 8 filled in, transom skin pits are filled in. Hope to get them sanded tonight, install these 4 stringers, then get the last 4 stringers removed. Also got the splash well sealed and re-assembled. All the extra holes have been welded, got a little fairing to do then it gets a coat of ZC. I'm shooting for having the boat flipped by the end of the month prepping the bottom for paint. I will remove the strakes and keel cover then seal and re-install with 5200.

Epoxy is order with 6 oz. cloth to begin building the 1 3/4" transom core. It will be installed hopefully by next weekend.

dearl

Seaman
Got the transom skin sanded down smooth and primed. Really happy with the way it turned out, its ready to install the new wood core. Probably spend the rest of the week on the gunwale sides and nose cap. getting ready to flip this thing again.

dearl

Seaman
Got a few things done this week, but not as much as I would have liked. Last 4 stringers are up, corrosion is gone, JB is down, got to sand that flush and re-mount everything. I think we'll pull the bow braces and check those too, they look good, but we've done the rest so 4 more wont hurt anything. I got my epoxy/cabosil in, 8 yds. of 6 oz. glass. Also I got a 4x8 sheet of aluminum plate to make a new splash well back plate and nose cap. The old back plate is riddled with holes and corrosion, it would be easier just to cut and break a new one. The nose cap has to many holes to try and weld up. I hope to be moving on to the transom wood lay-up this week.

dearl

Seaman
Got the new splash well backing plate and bow cap cut last night, Also the last 3 starboard bow supports are removed, some corrosion present, now I'm glad we decided to pull them up. I'm hoping to get the last 3 removed today, and start re-installing everything and wrapping this part up. I'm ready to get the transom in and get this thing flipped.

Laying out the new splash well backing plate....

Old Splash well plate and Bow cap....

Old splash well plate with the new one....

Old Bow cap with the new one....

Starboard bow supports removed...

New bow cap test fit......Perfect!

dearl

Seaman
Haven't done much to the boat for a week or so, a lot of work come In the shop at once. Got all that cleared out, started cleaning the last 4 stringers, got the JB filled pits sanded smooth, stringers are primed, going to install those tonight then get the bow supports cleaned and installed. I had originally thought that I could weld the holes In the gunnels and re-use those, not so, I did weld the holes up but once I got them sanded smooth, they don't look as good as I thought, they warped some and even though I could probably straighten them, I think I'll just order some .063 and build new ones. Got all the material In for the transom lay-up. Hope to get started on that this weekend.

dearl

Seaman
Well as it happens, life and work gets in the way of projects, but I got the Ole girl back In the shop to finish what I started. Give her a good pressure washing, got the remaining stringers left to install cleaned and Primered. Hope to get a couple put in today so I can move on to the transom.

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

Stringers left to install>>>>>

IMG_1001.JPG

Before acid wash>>>>>>

IMG_1003.JPG

After acid wash>>>>>>>

IMG_1002.JPG

dearl

Seaman
Got the bow stringers installed with Cleco's for now, got some help for a rivet party on Saturday. Hope to get all of them nailed down so I can move on to the nose Keel strip. Looks like I'm going to have to remove it to repair it, plus I can fix the leaks while its out.

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1014.JPG

dearl

Seaman
Stringers are finally done! Went through nearly 2 100pc boxes of 3/16' x 1/2" brazier heads sealed with 5200 yesterday, man I'm glad that's over with. Main focus for this week is to get the Keel nose cap pulled and repaired, the bottom Keel cap pulled. This will leave me with 4 strakes to drop and re-seal, then I can Gluvit the inside seams and move on to getting the transom installed. Looking forward to working on something other than stringers.

IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow, look at those new rivets! Looks really great like a WW2 fighter plane! :D

Frey

dearl

Seaman
Got a little time to work on the boat this weekend. Managed to get the fuel tank/floor support truss cleaned primed and installed. This 1 piece requires over 100 - 3/16 pop rivets to hold it in place. I ran out of rivets after about 40, so I'll pick some more up today and finish this tonight. I'm also cleaning and primering between the stringers as I go, after this I can Gluvit the seams and move on to the transom. The transom is 1-3/4" thick, I plan to use 2 pieces of 3/4 ply with 2 pieces of .125 aluminum plate between the 2 epoxy coated and covering the entire piece with a layer of 6 oz. cloth. Anyone see a problem with that or have better suggestion. I want a bomb proof transom, not sure if I will be using a heavy 4 stroke yet or not but 2 or 4 stroke I'm looking at a motor weight between 375-425 lbs. I'd like to hear some input from you guys.

Before cleaning....

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

Cleaned and primed.....
IMG_1062.JPG
IMG_1063.JPG

Install.....

IMG_1064.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1068.JPG
IMG_1069.JPG

dearl

Seaman
Started removing the Keel plate last night, PO had used a gallon of JB down here trying to stop a leak. Once I got all that chipped away, I managed to get around 10 rivets drilled out, only 50 more to go LOL. hoping to have it removed, cleaned up, sanded SE primed and re-installed with a bead of 5200 around the perimeter and on each rivet. Then I can move on to the nose keel strip, which by the way I'm not looking forward too.

IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG

dearl

Seaman
Been a good while since I've worked on the boat, selling a house buying some land, building a house, took some time. Anyway, while moving all my old consoles and parts for this boat out of storage, I got the itch to get back at it. I did get the keel strip and all 4 strakes off. Once I get it cleaned out, give it a good washing and get it back in the shop, I'll pick up the Pics where I left off Lol.