Using rustoleum to paint the inside of boat?

Jbrookins

Seaman Apprentice
I remember reading somewhere where woodonglass said rustoleum with a hardener added was good for painting inside the boat. I bought cheap topside paint to paint the inside over the new fiberglass work I did before installing the carpet. But I'm not going to have enough. The boat paint is a one part and runs 50 a gallon and rustoleum is 20-30 I'm not looking for pretty I'm just looking to cover and help seal everything before putting down carpet

Jbrookins

Seaman Apprentice
Also i wanted to do something with the wood backing on all the vinyl pieces when I recover them and was wondering if painting them would work. There in good shape just don't want to take a chance and have to redo them in a year again marine vinyl is expensive

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Painting does little to protect wood when it's being covered with anything, sort of a waste of money.

Jbrookins

Seaman Apprentice
It's all been glassed already. Just trying to cover the fiberglass with something before I put carpet down. Well the wood back in on the vinyl has not but I was going to thin down resin cover those and then paint them

Last edited:

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If it has been glassed and you are confident that there is no gaps in it anywhere then just put the carpet down and save yourself some money.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Painting doesn't really do much to prevent rot when the wood is cover up with something, sort of a waste of time and money. Painting the fiberglass under the carpet serves no purpose, again it's a waste of time and money. It's probably worse being painted because the glue now is only sticking the paint, which probably won't hold up to being wet for long periods of time when under carpet.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
As Ondarvr pointed out, painting will not add any value at this point. You best course of action is to apply the glue directly to the fiberglass. If you used waxed resin or added wax to your resin, you will need to dewax and sand before gluing the carpet

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Don't thin down the resin, it too is of no value, and applying it to wood and not using glass is a very short term solution, it will crack and flake off rather quickly.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
For your wood panels, I like to recommend using this. I Know from experience it works very well and is inexpensive. I do Boat Upholstery and this is what I use on all the wood panels when I do them. Lots of our members have used this with very good results in various conditions.
OldTimers.jpg

Last edited:

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
I for one can attest to the old timers wood sealer formula, as an alternative! I used it on my replacement transom and am real happy with the results! It's a close second to Epoxy at only a fraction of the cost....!

Frey

Jbrookins

Seaman Apprentice
Awesome thank you. There are some pieces of wood that go in after the gas tank goes in the support the wood over the tank (they have to be removable) so I can get the tank out if need be so they can't be glassed in. My first thought was to just use pressure treated as they are just removable supports but is the way listed above a better option?

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
In general I stay away from treated wood, but that is because I have an aluminum boat, and the two should never be mixed! As for your purpose, maybe that would work out ok, others will likely chime in that know more about any potential issues with fiberglass boats and pressure treated wood. As for the sealer, it takes time for it to dry, but when it does it seals real well deep into the wood. I applied 3-5 coats or so and it was great, and cost waaaaay less than epoxy. Please understand that epoxy is the best, but this is also very good.

Frey

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
If you have time to wait for the PT to dry out from the treatment process you can certainly use it in a glass boat. Everything I've read recommends 6mo for the drying time before painting/staining.

Jbrookins

Seaman Apprentice
My fuel tank is aluminum but the wood won't touch the tank it's there to support the floor that covers the tank so it will screwed into the stringer just above the tank

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'd be concerned about the pressure-treating chemicals leaching out of the wood and corroding the fuel tank.

Jbrookins

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so I couldn't take looking at the 3 different colors on the inside of the boat so I painted the entire inside with 2 coats of rustolium and hardener. I looks all the same now which is nice.
Now it's time to put down the carpet and I was wondering if lightly sanding over the paint with 60 grit will help glue stick