Rotted core under acess plates

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was going to caulk under acess plates and when i took it apart , not good the area is bumped out underneath about 1 foot by 18 in and stops on all 4 sides . I've cleaned out almost all that is damaged and cleaned it with actone and will rough it up wit sand paper . Any recommendations on what to do do next I can definitely get it dry and inject epoxy in it . I was thinking west system s10 cartridge and fill it up ,and use the penetrating epoxy in the end of the core that is left ,or domed it have to be cut out and done over . I doint know it it is going to work . I think it was cored to mount the acess plates and wireing tube . Dosent seem to be andy wood in the transom someone driled a hole for a transducer cable under the water line , I'm fixing that but no wood in the layers ,and I called the manufacturer , any way I hope not. Help I sold my other boat and picked this up maybe I should give up boating :(

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The pic really doesn't show anything. What is it that you're needing/wanting to do? I'm just an Old Dumb Okie so i need more information!!!:D

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Thanks for you response , the core In between the fiberglass is rotted and cleaned out , the coring is in the splash well . The core area extends about 8 inches all around the acess holes . Most of the rotted core is only going away from th large black cable protecter . I've dug out the core all the way to where it ends along the transom wall where it's all fiberglass no more coreing . The question is can I fill the void ( where the core used to be ) iwith epoxy filler ( west s10 ) and bond the top skin with the bottom skin , or use polyester resin , and or a filler . The next question or should I do it by cutting it out and coring it with wood from the top ., to do it from the bottom , with limited acess. I would have to take out gas tank and top panal . I can do that but it a larger job , and working upside down with not much room ,but I could scut the skin and slide a new core in and glass in .

Attachments

• photo241091.jpg
    photo241091.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo241092.jpg
    photo241092.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 0

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'm guessing the wood there is more for the screws to bite into, not structural. I'd just cut a peice of wood and epoxy on after cutting away the skin in the back.

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to avoid that since I don't think I have the skill to make it look Right but it would be solid . Matching it is the key , is filling the void with epoxy s10 or out he product a bad idea for the long .short term thanks for the input

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
The question is can I fill the void ( where the core used to be ) with epoxy filler ( west s10 ) and bond the top skin with the bottom skin ,

Ayuh,.... I'd think so long as ya get out the rot, that'll be a permanent fix,....

If ya wanta use polyester, the tiger hair WoG linked would work too,....

Might have to tape up the openin's after ya pack 'em full, to hold back resin run out,....

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks , you guys would rather use polyester with hair rather then the epoxy , I'm also thinking along those lines. If I want to mix my own I could inject it with a caulking gun tubes to make sure it is all the way in there . Any recommendations as to the mix ,would a slow cure be beneficial ? Or it dosent matter ? I would like it to be a perement repair . The bondo with hair, would that be thin enough to put in a caulking tube? Or just pack it in any way I can and keep working it in until it won't go no more .? Thanks again

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you have access to the area with a dowel rod, the Tiger Hair has the consistency of creamy Peanut butter sooooo, you can poke it into the area with a dowel and it won't "Run or Sag" on you, It will "Kick" in about 20 minutes soooo, only add hardener to the amount you think you can get stuffed into the cavity in that amount of time. It WON'T work in a caulking gun.

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I will make up some tools to help me push it in . ( short strand fiberglass resin ) Ever coat brand tiger hair it's just pre mixed fiberglass strands in resin ? Will it cure tacky as no wax resin ? bondo what does tiger hair WoG linked mean ? Sorry I confused

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would the kitty hair be the same as the bondo ? The local auto supply house had the kitty hair ,he said he would order the tiger hair ,he says it's the same . Also I was told it should be no thicker then 1/2 in thick ( that is about the size of the void )'i was also wondering why you guys prefer the polyester resin over the west epoxy .it it that the epoxy get to firm with little flex? Seems every body has a diffrent opinion. The fiber glass guy wants $600 and want to drill holes in it and fix it that way if he can , he has only seen photos , if he can't then he would cut the top skin and do it that way but says he can't match the color,so no way
he has done work for me in the past . , but works out of his house old timer thanks for all the help as soon as we get a warm stretch of weather I'm giving it a go .

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yes, Bondo Hair, Tiger Hair it's All the same thing. You can make it out of epoxy resin to. Epoxy is MORE waterproof it DOES remain a Bit more flexible once fully cured and IS a bit better of an adhesive. It's also more expensive and harder to find. For your application I think the Polyester Based BONDO Hair product would be perfectly acceptable to get the job done but...That is JUST MY OPINION. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and in the end YOU are free to make the decision on which product to use to effect the repair. Either one will work.;)

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Any opinion on sealing the through hull on the transom

Attachments

• photo241450.jpeg
    photo241450.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 0

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks I not experience in this field !just want to learn what I can from someone who has experience . You can pound the books all you want but ther is a learning curve .we learn through experience !