1995 Crownline Interior restoration....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wow... here is some rotten wood!! Hopefully I was able to guess correctly at what was missing...

This one is going to be a PIA!!!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here are a couple updates...

here is a couple better pix of the staple strip ...

bull nose bolster...

Believe it or not, all of these wrinkles came out with the steamer!!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here is the sun deck....

Start of the barrel seats....Interesting thing with these, the hide was not attached to the back rest... there was about 2 inches gap from the foam to the hide...

Head rest is done here...The seat bottom actually sets the contour for the back rest.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK,so the barrel seats have thoroughly kicked my butt!!

This is ghost of Christmas future... the rips, are the stress points on this seat...

here is the seat base..

head rest/base...

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The hide stitched and installed...

Here is where the trouble begins....

I fought this for 2 days, remade the hide 4 times... it kept wrinkling and tearing out where the blue meets the white....I tried every trick Iknow, steaming , dry heat, stretching...dry etc.

I finally resorted to 14 hours of a super hot, 5 gallon water bottle...

Im sure there is a better way to do these kinds of seat...but I havent found anything yet on the interweb yet...

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well it looks like you got it figured out ! Looks great !
Thinking on bucket seats for my Borum ski boat ... I see what I'm in for now .. :eek:

tpenfield

Staff member
I would think that the manufacturer used some sort of heat/steam and maybe a form press to get the vinyl to take the shape before they installed it on the seat.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That could be tpenfield I have had zero luck finding out how they do them.

Here is the aft back rest..

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer
Impressive work, I am just starting to learn uhpolstery and was under the impression i was supposed to glue the scrim foam to the vinyl before sewing and attaching. This thread shows attaching the scrim foam to the wood, then stapeling. It really wasnt that hard sewing with 1/4 inch scrim though.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Impressive work, I am just starting to learn uhpolstery and was under the impression i was supposed to glue the scrim foam to the vinyl before sewing and attaching. This thread shows attaching the scrim foam to the wood, then stapeling. It really wasnt that hard sewing with 1/4 inch scrim though.

It depends on what you're covering. For flat panels, where the scrim foam will be the only padding, you can do it either way. For contoured pieces with foam already there I always glue the scrim to the vinyl first and then layout the pattern and cut it out. The 1/4" scrim helps hide any "Lumpy Bumpy's" in the foam and gives a smoother finished look to the job.

Good luck with your upholstery work and let us know if we can be of assistance. Do you have a machine? If so, what Mfg and Model is it?

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It depends on what you're covering. For flat panels, where the scrim foam will be the only padding, you can do it either way. For contoured pieces with foam already there I always glue the scrim to the vinyl first and then layout the pattern and cut it out. The 1/4" scrim helps hide any "Lumpy Bumpy's" in the foam and gives a smoother finished look to the job.

Good luck with your upholstery work and let us know if we can be of assistance. Do you have a machine? If so, what Mfg and Model is it?

Exactly what WoG said...just depends on the pieces that you are working on....

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wow what an impressive job you have done. What's next up?

Looks great!

Thanks Michael and Bloke. Up next is the bow back rest's. These are so rotten, the boat owner is making me some contour templates so I can build the structure...

After that...upholstery shop will be closed for the rest of summer..I havent even un-fogged Nauti-Thoughts yet this year!!!! :jaw:

Last edited:

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Wow - what great craftsmanship! Glad I stopped by. I was thinking of attempting a little two person bench for the hydro my son and I are building but wouldn't know where to start. Luckily seats and upholstery decisions are a ways off yet!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey thanks - that's pretty cool. I might just tackle that sometime. Is a plain old household sewing machine going to have the correct foot etc? Yours look pretty heavy duty.

I did my Glastron with an 1953 Morse and a 1948 Singer 15-91. Really depends on what kind of machine you have..Vinyl is pretty tough on the home duty sewing machines. but Ive seen it done!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Guys, please cover your pride and joy.....the owner of this boat told me that it sat outside uncover for 5 years before he got it.....

Here is what I have left to pattern from...