How would ya'll go about fixin' this? What happens with a totaled boat?Salvage title?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Got a boat from a bud. Real nice altogether. Hull is a 2003 Sea Pro. All composite and solid floors/transom. Came with TM, T top, Yamaha 150, nice dual axle trailer. Boat was hit hard and I am either going to give away/junk the hull or I am going to try and fix the damage and sell it. I am in the process of pulling the motor because the teleflex steering cable got bent pretty badly due to the motor jerking sideways on impact.

So, the insurance company totalled the hull and gave a big payout to the past owner. I got the title and mailed it in to VA dept of game and am waiting to get it back. Will it be a salvaged title, or just a normal title? This will help decide whether I fix it.

Heres the damage: All above the water line. Boat didn't take on any water. Worth fixing, and how would you go about doing so?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It's Fiberglass!!! It can be fixed. Just depends on how much time, effort, and money you want to put into it. I'm guessin it'd be a LOT cheaper than a NEW Boat. I have NO idea about how the titling will go.

Basically you'd cut away all the fractured glass, re-align the hull. Use any pieces that are salvageable to aid in the re-build and then patch her back together. OOPS old thread on stretching his hull and fabrication of glass panels would be a great place to start.;)

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
My suggestion: let it be 'fixed' by the bulldozer at my local landfill.

Seriously, did you forget to wear a respirator while ising polyester resin?

Ok, WOG is right, but wow, thats a ton of work. If its been wrecked for long, its probably been stored outside uncovered.. waterlogged, wood or no wood to rot.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you really love the boat, are emotionally tied to it, we can help you rebuild it. be prepared to shell out about $5k for repair materials and to replace broken things, and about 300-500 hour of your time.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can see that being repaired. How much will it cost depends on what is damaged internally. And since we can't see that, it is a flip of the coin to explain what it would take to make it whole again. If you really want to do the work and see how nice you can make it, go for it. Who knows, it may be easier then we all can see. :noidea:

If it didn't cost anything, the only money you will spend is in the repairs. Of course that can add up as well, but until we see more pictures to evaluate, what else can one say...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
With it being an all composite built boat . I would be compelled to try and fix it ... Your gunna have to cut away the front deck anyway so that will let you gain access to the damaged part of the hull from the inside ...
Find out about the tittle . If you can get it legal then fix the BooBoo and go fishing ... Loos like a nice boat ...

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
You don't need a title in Colorado, FOR A Boat Just THE Trailer If Theirs No Wood Rot I'm Game To Fix That thing.!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You don't need a title in Colorado, FOR A Boat Just THE Trailer If Theirs No Wood Rot I'm Game To Fix That thing.!

Colorado won't help a guy in Virginia. Unless you want to meet half way and pay sutor gas money and expenses. See, it was a quick flip, sutor. LOL

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Thanks for all the input guys. All composite, really nice hull. I ended up selling the T top to a bud for $500. (It is a C.E. Smith, they are around $1500 new with electronics box) Then,,,,,, a guy passing through stopped by and told me he wanted it when I was outside with it. Offered me $500 if I would deliver it to him. He is about 1:30 hours from me so I told him gimme $150 for my gas and my time for a total of $650. He left me a $200 deposit and I am dropping it off on friday.

Now I have a nice aluminum tandem axle trailer and a 2003 Yamaha 150. Trying to decide if I am hull shopping, or just going to sell those too. Still breaking in my new powerhead on my boat.

Sometimes things happen for a reason in this life. Reason #1 being that if I introduce another boat project my wife will be at her witts end!!!

VA does not issue salvage or destruct only titles, so the title will be clean. Not sure how or why but thats what I was told!!!

GA_Boater

It was a quick flip then. Good deal. sutor.

Happy wife, happy life. :D

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Thanks partner. Yep got 'er out of the yard. My old Neptune, she's a runnin good and a floatin'. No need to get all worked up in another project if I dont need to. Plus, the fish are bitin!

64osby

Admiral
"The trailer was worth the price". ;):D

Great flip, putting money in your pocket is always good.

GA_Boater

BTW - You did find the way to do the :fixin'" right. :lol:

Don't forget to tell the new owner about us. :smile:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Thanks partner. Yep got 'er out of the yard. My old Neptune, she's a runnin good and a floatin'. No need to get all worked up in another project if I dont need to. Plus, the fish are bitin!

yeah man, the bluecats have their feedbags on... definitely not the time to be gettin' all itchy down there in VA :cool: :lol:

congrats on a heck of a deal! $$ in your pocket and you still have a bomber trailer & motor...wow! :thumb:

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Bummer I would have drove the 48 hours to pick that baby up, for FREE -it be worth a fortune around here...

sutor623

Rear Admiral
yeah man, the bluecats have their feedbags on... definitely not the time to be gettin' all itchy down there in VA :cool: :lol:

congrats on a heck of a deal! $$ in your pocket and you still have a bomber trailer & motor...wow! :thumb:

Yea I'm a tinny lover at heart. 'Cept for when it comes time to actually use the boat :) yea no need to get itchy when the blue cats and stripers are out to play!!