Question regarding types of wood for a rebuild project.

SynPDX

Seaman Apprentice
I am rebuilding a Bayliner Capri.

Floor is removed, streamers are removed. I'm down to the hull and now it's time to rebuild.

Can i get away with using a higher quality Home Depot plywood if I coat it in resin? I found a place in Portland that sells "Marine-grade plywood and they want $140 per sheet 4x8. Keep in mind, after the boat is rebuilt, I'm taking it to a shop and they are going to spray Line-X bedliner in the whole thing... I just dont' see how water would ever be in contact with the wood.

Thoughts?

wilkboater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Home Depot plywood is fine as long as it's "exterior grade". Exterior grade will be constructed with waterproof glue. Do a search for plywood in this forum, you can read for hours. :) I'm repairing a Capri also, I'd love to see some pictures of your project.**edit I noticed the link in your sig**

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I think you'll benefit from reading these...

Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms

View attachment MaterialsList.pdf

There's absolutely NO reason to spray bedliner on the hull and stringers once you have them fiberglassed properly. NONE!!! You're just wasting money!!! The glass, if you do it right will keep the wood protected. The reason they rotted was due to the fact that the factory did NOT do as good of a job as you will do and from poor maintenance and care. As long as you do good work and then maintain your boat your deck and stringers will last for decades!!!

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep ^^^ and I'd add that polyester resin alone is worthless w out fiberglass.

As its all part of the structure of the boat you cant skip the fiberglass tabbing and filleting as described in the linls WOG posted

SynPDX

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the replies. I've purchased a 5 gallon bucket of poly resin from US Composites out of FL. I've got chopped glass, many rolls of CSM and 1708, just stuck on this wood decision....

SynPDX

Seaman Apprentice
By the way, that's a great write-up, I remember reading this months ago, thanks for pointing it out again! =)