Nose Job (Not Kardashian Related)

LeonWaldo

Cadet
OK I'm going to attempt to repair my bow nose damage this weekend, I have watched a few videos on the YouTube and I think I can do this! This is my first try at this kind of repair so any friendly tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG953591.jpg
    IMG953591.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG953591.jpg
    IMG953591.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG953589.jpg
    IMG953589.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG953590.jpg
    IMG953590.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Can you get to the inside at all? If you could put even a small amount of glass on the inside then you can grind off the damaged glass an still have a base layer to build off of. Even just a blob of putty could work.

Other than that, just grind off the ugly stuff, rebuild it back up in layers, then grind it back down into the right shape. It will take a bit time to get the shape right, but shouldn't be too hard.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wow, that's quite the dock rash! :faint2: You don't have to answer, but I'm curious, how'd that happen? Good luck with your repair! I'm betting you'll do fine, especially with guys like ondarvr here to help. :)

LeonWaldo

Cadet
LOL, not my rash. I bought the boat with the broken nose. The rest of the vessel is in great shape.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Leon, Not totaled, but there is some work ahead of you. I think you may even need to remove or at least loosen up the rub rails on both side to get to the damaged material to grind it all out. You first need to grind away all the damaged material and hopefully get to some quality base material before going through the hull. If not, you will have to play it by ear as you rebuild.

Build it up with layer after layer of 1708 fiberglass and polyester resin would be my suggestion. It really isn't hard to do, only time consuming. And once you get the hang of working with fiberglass and resin, it even can be fun as well. I would suggest to use non-waxed layers of 1708 fiberglass and laminating polyester resins. Don't go waxed resins or you will have to sand between ever coat or it won't stick to each other. So that precluded the usual Bondo type auto store resins.

Look around your area for a fiberglass auto repair type shop or a marine repair place to get the materials. JMHO!

LeonWaldo

Cadet
Thanks GM, I'm pretty nervous to take the project on but from what I'm reading this would cost a pretty good buck to have fixed professionally. I'm fairly handy and patient so I look forward to the challenge. I'm headed to West Marine in the morning to grab my supplies.

harleyman1975

Ensign
You'll be saving yourself $1000-$1500. Proceed in a planned and careful manner. Take your time and don't panic if things don't seem to be going as they should. Somebody is always just a few clicks away. Mask things up so you don't have resin running down the hull. Cut your patches small and then increase in size by an inch or so to overlap. Take pics to show us your progress in case you have questions so we can see what you did (right or wrong). Slow and steady wins the race.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
West Marine is the absolute highest price you will see on the supplies, shop elsewhere and you will save a great deal of money. They have it on hand, but you pay dearly.