New deck in 77 tri hull

Hi guys. I have a couple of questions.. I'm putting a new deck in my tri-hull. Should the deck rest on the outside sponsons? Also, do I need to replace the floatations foam. I was instructed by a local boat repair shop that it was not necessary. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.hope the photos are of some help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Put the deck back exactly the way it was before.

Your are not required to have foam in your boat. Having said that, it's a very very good idea to do so. You have several options on how to accomplish it. When you're out in the middle of the lake and for some reason you're boat starts taking on water and the motor won't start...YOu'll be very thankful that you had the forethought to go ahead and spend the extra $200 bucks to put the foam back in.:nod:

Thank you for your advise. The old deck was so badly rotted out it came up with the carpet, so I didn't really get a chance to see if it was riding on the hull or not, and didn't know if over time it will wear a hole in the bottom of the boat.the stringers were also rotted so much, I wasn't able to get an accurate measurement for the new stringers.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Typically, the deck will be on the sponsons. However you should laydown a bead of what we call Peanut Butter (Thickened Resin) to ensure that it Won't create a hard spot on the hull and also to fill the gap between the deck and the sides of the hull. Once you establish this deck position just run a stringline from one side to the other and this will establish your stringer height. Drop plumblines down from this line to establish your stringer heights at various locations .