Grinding old glass out for new stringers

ncfishhawk

Cadet
Hello, I am replacing stringers, floor and transom in a 16' skiff I have acquired. I have removed all of the wood and am preparing the hull for the new stuff. It looks like the original stringers were glassed in with a chopper gun because there is no evidence of a difference between the hull glass and the glass that was on the stringers. I can't really tell a difference between the hull glass and the chopper gun stuff. I'll be going back with an epoxy restoration. My question is how much of the old stuff do I need to grind out?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would look at the stickies at top of the forum, then look at link #14 - the definitive guide to restoring a boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats! It's hard to tell without being able to see what you see. Posting pics of your work will give the members a much better possibility of posting better ideas for your project. Best way to post your pics is to open a Free Photobucket account and upload your pics to it. Then copy and paste the IMG code into your iBoats thread.

The basic answer is to grind to fresh glass (usually nice smooth pinkish color but not always pink) and allow for a 3-6 inch overlap of the glass out onto the hull from the base of the stringer or transom. This might be of interest...Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms

Last edited: