Transom drain tube

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a flanged brass tube that is solid, but it has been in the boat for over 40 years (all fresh water) and there is no sealant visible around the outside flange. It would be difficult to remove and replace the tube because it has an inner transom board in front of it. Could I get a seal from a bead of 5200 around the outer flange without removal? Or, is it possible to install a garboard plug over the top of the brass tube without removing it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Pic of the problem area inside end might help with advice on what to do.

Note that just because you can't see sealant doesn't mean it isn't there. If its been in place 40 years the sealant that squished out during installation could have gone away without the stuff actually forming the seal having gone bad.

Maybe just drill on through the piece that is in the way then reinstall with access to the inside end created.

I had issues with the drain plug on my bass boat (too small and a bit high) and my solution ended up being to drill out for a larger plug. I have no wood involved in the transom.
The main idea being: do what works.

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did do transom repairs, as I had some delamination happening, so I know I had some moisture infiltration. I did not identify the drain hole as the source of the moisture, but was trying to cover all bases and I couldn't see evidence of sealant. I know there could also be a rubber seal around the tube inside and fhhuber could be correct that the sealant around the tube but not visible could still be doing the job. I have nothing to lose by sealing around the perimeter of the flange other than a bit of cosmetics. I am way beyond worrying about that below the water line after doing transom repairs.

Thanks to all who responded. Sometimes I just need a confidence boost that I am on the right track. Fhhuber is correct in suggesting to "do what works".