1989 SeaRay 160

rotorhead22

Seaman
Things are still moving along and I am trying to think ahead. I will be installing a second battery a switch to control bat1 and bat2. There are plenty of threads on wiring, but being a former helicopter crew chief, I don't see a whole lot of info on center of gravity or proper weight distribution. The original battery location was aft starboard. It was in a area with the fuel filter so that makes me nervous anyway. Is there any standard rule of thumb for relocating heavy weight such as batteries?

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know of any rule of thumb, but bats make little difference with heavy boats but do have impact on light boats. I installed my second bat on the opposite side as the original on my Rinker just to even it out.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I would even them out as AllDodge did. On my Sea Ray, I put my second battery right next to the original at the stern on the port side and can feel the extra weight if I don't load my gear to compensate for it.

Last edited:

rotorhead22

Seaman
No Title

Quick update. I am still plugging along but about three weeks behind from where I wanted to be. One weekend I did something really stupid and got in such a hurry I didnt put on my mask and burnt my throat with fumes. Next week the HOA sent me a warning notice about boat in driveway so I had to lay low and then the freaking RAIN. I truly respect any of you who do this work for a living.

Attachments

• photo246772.jpg
    photo246772.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo246773.jpg
    photo246773.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
The HOA is a love hate relationship. Many folks love them to help keep folks like me out of their neighborhood, but hate it when they want to do something like I do in the drive way. I just refuse to live in an area where an HOA exist.

Your coming along nicely

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Looks like you are doing good! No HOA here, I live on an acreage......if I had one i would be public enemy number one lol!

rotorhead22

Seaman
No Title

A short update. I have had to lay low over the past couple of weeks due to the HOA. I spoke to the head HOA guy and he is a boater also but asked me to chill for awhile so that the complaints will stop. I decided to attack some corrosion issues during this time and add some paint (i did go a little bit overboard and polished the brass fittings). I do have a request for some thoughts on a top coat paint. I really on need to paint the cap with something real durable.

Attachments

• photo248934.JPG
    photo248934.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248935.JPG
    photo248935.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248936.JPG
    photo248936.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248937.JPG
    photo248937.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 0

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That sucks about the HOA. Glad I don't have to deal with that. As for paint I use DuPont urethane automotive paint. It has been extremely durable, but it has a cost that goes along with it. Woodonglass uses rustoleum with a catalyst, haven't tried it but a number of people on here have and were happy. You can also look at some of the marine topside paints, there are a bunch of different ones out there.

rotorhead22

Seaman
No Title

The rain and wind here in Tampa put a big hold on the progress the past couple of weeks but here are some updated pix. I was rebuilding my tank coffin and was so proud of my design until I discovered that I did not take into account the height of the tank vent tube,oops. Starting from scratch I bedded two long strips to the hull then glassed them in and narrowed the original floor by three inches which brought the height down enough. Should be glassing in the floor this coming week.

Attachments

• photo251998.jpg
    photo251998.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251999.jpg
    photo251999.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0
  • photo252000.jpg
    photo252000.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
I've had the oops issue way to many times. Your coming along nice and looks real good

rotorhead22

Seaman
No Title

Finally been able to make some real progress because the rain stopped :rockon: All of my flooring is now cut and fitted so now I hate to cut the hole for the ski locker but the wife wants it. The new upholstery wants to go in along with the second battery and stereo. Changed out my jets (.54 to .56) and changed out the stock reeds with a set of CCMS (www.ChrisCarsonMarine.com) reeds. I will check/set the static timing to see where it really is.

Attachments

• photo255016.jpg
    photo255016.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 0

rotorhead22

Seaman
Well now that I laid low to keep the HOA happy and a bathroom remodel and built a deck, time to get back at it.

rotorhead22

Seaman
No Title

Had a few extra days off to glue down and screwed down the deck and bed with PB plus fill the screw holes. I had to modify the deck with holes because I forgot about the tank vent hose :stupid:. I highly suspect that the original location/holes for this hose was the main culprit to allow water into the foamed section of the stringer area. Thankfully I found a closer storage facility and will be able to have quick access and get this project water ready.

Attachments

• photo267558.JPG
    photo267558.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 0