91 Bayliner Capri 1850 rebuild/remodel

jafitzwater

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all just wanted to share my rebuild/remodel progress with you and maybe ask some questions or get some input on better, more efficient ways of doing things. Thanks!

A couple "Before pics"

Recent updates, to current stage.

thanks for looking!

Last edited:

jafitzwater

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone know why this post can't be viewed by non registered members? Trying to share with a friend

jafitzwater

Seaman Apprentice
Put the top on the bench and starting to mold the curves in the seat and also round off corners

Tnstratofam

Commander
I believe that foam you used to fill in around the wood pannels isn't really completely waterproof. So make sure you try to keep the inside of the boat dry especially during storage. Also are the new panels and floor repair fiberglassed in? The deck is structural support for the sides so it needs to be nice and solid.

jafitzwater

Seaman Apprentice
hi, the foam is not really for waterproofing. its more for forming, for when i do fiberglassing. Yes the floor is completely fiberglassed in, and pre-resined prior to glassing on both sides. The sides/seats, sun deck, etc will all be glassed with 3-4 layers of chop strand.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Okay good deal. I thought it looked like you were glassing things back in place. Nice job on the fab work for the seat bases. Using cardboard to get the pieces laid out correctly then cutting the plywoood is a good idea..

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
looks cool/ Kinda Amazing first Bayliner ive seen not rotting out nice boat...

jafitzwater

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the compliments. Yeah the boat floor was pretty solid except the place where I cut out the ply. Even then the wood wasn't too awful. I'll post more progress of what I've done as far as the build on the dog house too.

Tnstratofam

Commander
That is a lot of work. Looking good.

How are you tying in the gauge cluster to the console?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
The carpet work looks great! That's a pretty unique idea as far as interior design. It'll be interesting to see how it works once the seating is installed. Starting to really take shape.

Did you gel coat the interior or is it white paint? Just curious, I used gel coat on my bayliner in the open bow and could never get it to look smooth. I ended up covering it in carpet.

Nice work.

jafitzwater

Seaman Apprentice
The gauge cluster was a doner. I'm using sheets of plastic and forming it to the shape I want of the dash. It will be lightly foamed then vinyl covered.

Thanks. No I didn't use gel coat. Just paint.