Restoring Grandpa's 1965 Starcraft Eplorer

Mizedog

Cadet
Mizedog, I see some interesting things and some other things I would remove. I would remove everything that seriously isn't needed to trailer the boat properly. Weight doesn't equate strength. I would look for ways to turn this trailer either into a roller trailer, or a bunk type trailer, but not both. I would certainly remove the extras there and make the trailer solid and sound and then sandblast it and prime and paint. But that is just my opinion.

Interesting thought. I'll admit that back then, weight was thought to translate to strength due to the lack of access to lighter/stronger materials. For instance, the gusset on the winch mount looks pretty heavy for the job. I'll self-educate so I can spot areas to streamline. Thank you.

Mizedog

Cadet
Concur with GM and sam, did some looking. Sandblasting glass tends to leave little pock marks. Does the job but too aggresive. Flapper disk on grinder for glass.
Looking good!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've got a couple options for mounting a flapper and will try that. I'm hoping that the top layer of resin is not too eroded, but won't be surprised to find exposed glass fabric that will need a top coat of resin rolled on.

Mizedog

Cadet
Looking at these pictures on a larger screen now reveals some repair spots on the bottom of the hull that I didn't know about (uh-oh). It also looks like the boat was painted that green rather than it being part of a gel coat. That tracks with what I've read from StarCraft. I don't think they offered a green. In addition, it almost looks like the paint was rolled on. I know, that sounds bad. But, it really is a smooth surface and doesn't look like it was halfway done. There are a lot of touchups that my father may have added. He's color blind and might not have been able to tell the greens aren't all the same.

So, I would love to flip the boat over to get a good look at the hull, and have practical access to it for a quality repair job. I could spray the boat, but am not experienced in it. So, please be kind to a newbee when I ask if rolling on paint is an accepted method for painting a hull. Is that ok? I think brushing would be worse, but am not sure. More self-educating on the way...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The Roll n' Roll technique can yield a finished surface that's almost as smooth as a spray finish....Read about it here...Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!
eek.gif