2001 lund mr pike

tlh 178

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have two live wells on my boat, the one in the back drain out the transom. the front one drains out of the bow. this is a bad design by lund in my book. i had the front one welded 5 years ago and has held pretty good, until last year! is there anyway i can permanently seal this up ? i rarely even use the front livewell and could just make it a cooler! any thoughts to get me on the right track?

harleyman1975

Ensign
Either have it welded again or make a plug to cover the outlet and seal it with 3m 4200. You might even find a nice black plastic bezel to cover your "patch".

tlh 178

Petty Officer 3rd Class
thanks for your advice! sorry for the delay, i had given up on anyone to reply.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Can you shoot some pics for everyone to look at? helps everyone understand your situation better. Lots of guys use photbucket. Ther's a link here somewhere that shows you how to do it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Pix would help, as it was welded, and failed, its no longer original, lso I'd want to see what your working with now to suggest a repair.

Is your Lund a welded tin boat or riveted?

Stress caused the welded up plug to fail?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Aluminum Lunds are riveted,..............
I recall seeing a lund on this site with its hull skin welded at the keel; it wasn't a one piece bottom...and that weld failed :eek: I'll try to dig that one up. EDIT: 1987 Big Tyee Factory Keel Weld.

To the OP, we like pics! :hungry:

Is the livewell itself leaking?

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I recall seeing a lund on this site with its hull skin welded at the keel; it wasn't a one piece bottom...and that weld failed :eek: I'll try to dig that one up. EDIT: 1987 Big Tyee Factory Keel Weld.

To the OP, we like pics! :hungry:

Is the livewell itself leaking?

I'm not convinced that was a factory weld,...

I've owned a couple over the years,...

And have friends that run them and have never seen a factory weld on a Lund aluminum boat,...

jbcurt00

Staff member
Aluminum Lunds are riveted,..............
Thats what I thought, but wasnt sure they all were, esp the newer ones.

Then a riveted patch would have been my recommendation over welding originally, but now that a weld has failed, pix would be helpful.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
I'm not convinced that was a factory weld,...

I've owned a couple over the years,...

And have friends that run them and have never seen a factory weld on a Lund aluminum boat,...

If I met the guy that would cut a tinnie completely in half...including the ribs...and weld the keel together...I'm not sure if I'd shake his hand or wring his neck! ...and he's probably the same guy who worked on pscbowhunt's Tyee as well :lol:

Last edited: