hull support in order to commence restoration

SteveMartin

Recruit
Hi Everyone, Looking to undertake my first fibreglass boat restoration. Could anyone please point me in the right direction to correctly support the hull prior to dis-assembly. I intend in leaving the hull on the trailor.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If it's a bunk trailer depending on the size and location of the bunks it may be ok just on the trailer . Otherwise just add bunks under it to kind of conform to the hull
. No real science to it just make sure it's well supported ... Pics would help us help you ...
Welcome Aboard Steve !!:welcome:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If you are removing the cap, I would highly recommend removing it from the trailer. When the cap is off, it turns into a bowl of jelly, any fiber glassing you do the hull will hold that shape. I put mine on the floor, on a 2x6 under the keel, shimmed the boat so it was square with the world, and supported the bottom to make sure there was no hook in the hull. I replaced the transom, then the stringers up to the helm. Then removed the cap, and finished the stringers up to the bow. Be sure to measure every thing 6 times, including squareness of the hull, stringer height, flooring final height, ski lockers, and anything else you can imagine. One mistake and the cap will not fit correctly. My walk through windshield would not close properly, so I figured in about a half inch sag, and added that to the floor height, and by golly it fit perfect. Good luck!

SteveMartin

Recruit
Hi Vice Admiral and Commander, Thanks for your imput. Nice be talking to people on the other side of the world - the internet is an amazing thing (i'm in Perth Western Australia). Restoring a Baron Sportsman - regarded as an icon of a boat in this part of the world ideally suited to our seas. Commander I think I will take your advice. Have had a closer look at the way the rollers are leaving an impression in the hull as it sits. I need to get it off the trailor. I suspect and have been led to believe by others that know more than me that the roller type trailor is the incorrect trailor. May need to invest in a skid type trailor?
image4.JPG image3.JPG

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If you don't like the rollers you can take them off and add bunks if you wish ... I prefer bunks .. To me it seems like it gives better support ..JMHO

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'm going to remove my rollers, and see if I can attach bunks to the original hardware, they will still rock in to position I figure. maby someone has done that before but I haven't looked in to it yet.