First Restoration Opinions

tylerkhn

Recruit
I'm new to these forums, and would like some input from experienced people who have restored boats before. First off, a little bit of background. I've recently inherited my grandfather's boat. Now bare with me, as much of the boat isn't known. It's a 1980-something Sunrunner. It has an I/O motor (not sure what kind/size, I want to say Mercury?) and believe it's appx 16 feet in length. I've done a lot of research online about Sunrunner, and can't find anything specific to what model boats there were, engine size, packages, etc. I know they were made in Washington and that's about all I could find. Maybe somebody could point me in the right direction.

Anyways, this is the first boat I've owned. I've been fishing my whole life, and since I was a little kid my grandfather has always taken me on the lake in this boat. He's almost 90 now and wants to give my wife and I all his fishing equipment, boat included, since we are moving onto the next chapter of our life. (Kids)

Now, I'm torn between 2 options. One option is to keep the boat as it is; bring it home, load it up and take it to the lake. My second option is to completely restore the boat. My grandfather is a very respectable man that I've always looked up to, and has the mindset of "if it a'int broke, don't fix it". Unfortunately, the boat fell victim to that. She runs, floats, and catches fish. It has the original interior, paint, motor, and 1980's gas in the on-board gas tank. (He runs his fuel lines to an external gas tank he has mounted on the back) As great as this boat is to me since it holds so many memories, she has her fair share of downfalls. There are some soft spots in the deck, most of the gauges don't work, seats are ripped, paint is completely faded, etc.

If I were to restore the boat, I would do a complete restoration. Gut the hull, put new stringers in, rebuild the engine, repaint/repair the fiberglass hull, rebuild the trailer, etc. I've been an aircraft mechanic for the last 6 years and prior to that overhauled farm tractors, and have completely rebuilt my truck from the ground up. So I like to think I know my way around most tools and am very mechanically inclined. (Still learning everyday though)

Here is where my questions begin. I am wondering if completely restoring a boat is going to be overwhelming for somebody who has never done any work on a boat, especially a boat that I can't seem to find hardly any information about. I know that the deck is going to have to be redone, and am going to assume the transom needs attention also. The engine hasn't ever been touched with the exception of oil changes. If I do this, I want to dive into it head first and essentially have a brand new boat when I'm done. Would I be getting ahead of myself? Is this biting off more than I can chew?

I've been toying with the idea of buying a 2nd boat as a practice restoration project, but of course this would double my costs and the reality is I don't need 2 boats. If anybody would like to voice their opinion or experience, I would greatly appreciate it. I am very excited with the idea of restoring my boat but am afraid that I am thinking with a dream and not reality. Thanks for reading the short story of my life, sorry it was so long but hopefully I've provided you with enough detail!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Fix this one. It has the memories and typically if you buy any cheap old boat you will have the problems you have now, so stay with one you love.

Doing the work is not complicated, just hard work and time consuming. Ive not done a glasser gut to the bare hull, but many people here have and will guide you well.

Sound like you have the skills.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy the rebuild.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not so fast there tylerkhn, first things first. :welcome to iboats: glad you joined us...

Now lets see what you want. I concur with Redneck Joe. Built this one and forget the practice boat idea. First thing you really need to understand is, this is going to be a long process and messy, dirty, itchy, smelly work. But if you are really wanting to again have a new boat with everything working and solid as a rock, let's get going. First thing you need to do now is take tons of pictures, both inside the hull and outside from every angle you can think of. Next, take lots and lots of measurements and plot them down on a sketched hull for future reference. Then post some shots so we can see what you are dealing with and offer the best possible suggestions and ideas.

I do have to say, there are some very good experts on these forums that have done most anything you can come across during your rebuild process. So post away. :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to the Boat Restoration University!!! You certainly have the motivation to get the job done and with the people here on the forum you'll have all the help you'll need. I'd recommend you read and study these to help get you started...

Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms

MaterialsList.pdf

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Attachments

• MaterialsList.pdf
    174.2 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Don't worry about finding anything out about Sunrunner, it will make no difference in what, or how you do anything. A good friend of mine used to work there, plus I know one of the production mangers that worked there, but info from them wouldn't help much.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I agree with the all the previous members. You just got advice from some of the most knowledgeable members here. Yes it will be dirty and itchy but I did not find it hard with the help from the Iboat members. I vote redo the boat you have you have memories with the boat that will help you get through the itcy parts LOL

Mark72233

Ensign
Again Welcome to iboats. I had a similar story except it was my dads boat and I wanted to keep it for me and my family. Restore your grandfathers boat but understand a few things. It will take more money, effort, time, tools, knowledge and effort than you think it will but every day I look at what I have accomplished in the last 18 months I am proud of it and if my dad was alive he would love it. Yes I said 18 months and still have several months to go. I thought it would take me about a year 😜. Your boat is smaller so very doable. My background is not mechanical even though I have rebuilt a couple of engines but you sound like you have more actual training as a mechanic. As far as fiberglassing I had never touched it absolutely no experience with it not even watching my dad or a friend. I just read a 100 threads on this forum and watched all of Friscoboaters videos on YouTube. Mostly folks like Woodonglass and dozens of other members on iboats that documented their builds and will help anyway they can. Now I have used over 35 gallons of resin and I can't tell you how many feet of 3 foot wide 1708 and CSM fiberglass clothe. On your engine if it's an I/O and your thinking Mercury then it a Mercruiser and probably either a 120 or 140hp Chevy inline 4 cylinder.