Through hull transducer repairs

cozza

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all I've got 2 through hull transducer that are no longer in use and I want to get them removed and filled in. What's the best way to do this. Of course get someone else to do it but I'll like to tackle it myself.
Cheers

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Essentially its: Find and grind...

Preferably grind the transducer plastic shell so it splits and you can pry out the innards, then pop the plastic out.
Try to not actually get into the hull fiberglass matting.

Then you are left with a standard through the hull hole patch.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hi all I've got 2 through hull transducer that are no longer in use and I want to get them removed and filled in. What's the best way to do this. Of course get someone else to do it but I'll like to tackle it myself.
Cheers

You could use a Dremel Multi-Max type tool and with the blade laying flat on the hull, cut off the transducer. That way you don't breach the hull and will have a transducer that you can clean up and still use again if you want to. JMHO
61NjJ9oicrS._SY450_.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Take a sawsall {type tool** with thin {like a jigsaw type,fine**metal blades that fit into the tranducer. The blades can be as thin as 1/4", so it won't be tight while cutting into the tranducers side walls. You're gonna cut either up into or down into the tranducer. Works for plastic and brass too!
Make 2 fine cuts @ 3/8" apart top to bottom and just dance the blade till it'son the inside thread of the tranducer so you're not going into the hull. You can do this from top or bottom whicherver is easier access.
After t cuts are made just get a screw driver or fine chisel and pop out the sliver you cut thru. Then just squeeze the sides of whats left of the transducer and it will fall out. If it hasn't already
Then prep for patch.
KC

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Are these transducers of the "Shoot thru type", epoxied to the bottom, inside,..??

Or, are they of the sort that actually screw tighten, Through the hull, with the actual transducer, Outside the hull,..??

cozza

Seaman Apprentice
Ayuh,.... Are these transducers of the "Shoot thru type", epoxied to the bottom, inside,..??

Or, are they of the sort that actually screw tighten, Through the hull, with the actual transducer, Outside the hull,..??

Hi bondo yes they are shoot throu

cozza

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks all for your great input. I'll get my lifted out soon (again) and see what I can do as I'm sure these 2 shoot throu transducers are affecting my in hull transducer as they are all in one line with my in hull is at the back.