Fiberglass painting questions

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys...I'm starting to get a lotta calls for boat painting since I started this "hobby"..
Spring must be around the corner!!:)
So far I have only painted aluminum boats, but now I got asked to paint a fiberglass boat..I have no idea what kind it is, but what I do know is that it's at least 22' long & fiberglass...
MY QUESTION IS: What is the best paint and the best/easiest way to do a good job? I will try to do it with the brush and roll method.
This boat will be in the water at least 5-6 months per yr.
Also how can I lift this boat off the trailer to paint the bottom?

jbcurt00

Staff member
5 or 6mo moored makes the correct paint choice critical, fiberglass or tin boat.

Good luck

Bondo

Staff member
What is the best paint and the best/easiest way to do a good job?

Ayuh,..... Exactly like paintin' a car,....

Prep it, prime it, sand it, 'n shoot it with 2 part urethane,....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you're gunna do the roll n' tip method and the boat is In the water for a long period of time, Interlux "Perfection" paint is the paint I'd use. Be Prepared to lay out some $$$$. It ain't Cheap!!!!:eek: (Approx. $250 per. gallon) with primer and all other supplies You're looking at $400 + just for the materials to paint a 22 ft. boat hull. You'll have to make boat stands and jack her up. Paint all the areas then jack her up move the stands and paint the areas the stands covered.

Last edited:

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ah ok I was gonna use that but didn't know if it's ok for such a long period of time sitting in the water. Always dependable @woodenglass!!
I can't wait to get a shot at this boat!!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
At five to six months you won't be painting below the waterline with the same paint as above the waterline. The bottom would be an epoxy primer (optional) and antifouling paint. Above the waterline use what Bondo said.

Last edited:

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yea that is right!! I'm hoping he only wants the topside painted so I don't have to get it off the trailer.
One thing I've noticed with the paint I've used, is if I have white top & bottom it ends up being 2 different shades??