1977 Ebbtide Captiva Interior HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheeman2222

Cadet
Hello!

New here, But I bought a 1977 Ebbtide Captiva for cheap, that needs a good amount of interior work. There are some pieces there and I suspect that there are quite a few missing. I have googled my brain out, and I cannot seem to find any pictures of what a 1977 Ebbtide Captiva looked like on the inside. I know it was not a hugely popular boat, but I cannot find anything. I was wondering if anyone here has/had pictures of what the boat looked like? I am just trying to get an example of what to start buying to get the boat ready by summer!

Any help would be great to point me to the right direction!

Thank you!

W

jbcurt00

Staff member
Post some pix of the boat and what you've got now.

I suspect theres a good bit of work ahead, beyond an interior redo.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Did you possibly also register under a similar user name in error?

wheeman2222

Cadet
Hello!

And thanks for the reply! And yes during registration, I made an error and registered a wrong username. I would like to deactivate it if possible. And yes you are quite right that it is going to need some work. A section of the floor was replaced by the previous owner with plywood, although it is not treated. This was just a section. The owner claims the motor works, but he couldn't find the key at the time of the transaction so he was unable to demonstrate. But I have since found the key as it was laying inside of the boat. I found it after I got it home. It was sort of a catch-all junk pile for the previous owner. I have cleaned some of it out, but it just snowed so I cannot get pictures from this AM. These are from 2 days ago. The last pic is the best I have of the interior. Here is what I got:

So far I know I will need:
A new tilt/trim motor.
Rewire the tilt/trim switch.
Complete interior overhaul.
Possibly Redo the floor?
Engine Cleaning
Gas tank removal and Cleaning/Inspection.
New fuel lines
Good Buff/Wax on hull
Shine Chrome.

Right now my main concern is enginer work as well as making able to be sat in. Depending on what the old interiors look like, I may go with a custom interior setup. I do have a small idea what the old ones looked liked based what was left in the boat. I am open to any tips suggestions and pointers on getting this boat back up to good quality.

Thanks

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Forget the need for old interior pics. It won't help resale as it's too old and really would not matter if it was original.
You likely will not find OEM vinyl in original colors anyway.
You should just make the interior as YOU like it.

wheeman2222

Cadet
Right, that's what I am beginning to think. I am not looking to increase resale or technically a "restoration". I am just looking to make something functional that will work well and look decent. I am definitely not looking to keep the same ugly colors! Hahaha.

Is there a form here for " custom" making interior? Like how to make a good bench seat with under storage and things like that? I am sure that I am not going to go back to original, but wouldn't mind seeing other ideas to what some people have done with some good interiors!

Thanks!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Lets take a step back, theres likely a good bit to do before you even begin to work on an interior.

Does the Force fire?

It looks like fairly recent plywood laying in the interior. But it doesnt look like its been glassed. Is it simply laying on top of the original deck (floor)?

Get all the carp outta the boat (school chair?) and post some new pix of the interior.

To answer your question, yes, there is some bench and upholstery topics/posts for reference.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Cool lines on that hull ... but that's a big lookin' project! Welcome aboard.

wheeman2222

Cadet
Yes, I am sure this is going to be quite the project! And It snowed today here in Indiana, I will get some more pictures when it melts off. I have already cleaned it out since these pictures were taken. (I havent even had the boat a week) And yes, I think there were two school chairs in there and a cooler I got as well.. Some bonus items when I got it! And I was told that the force fires, but before I even attempt it, I need to replace the fuel lines, they are rock hard now. Even the primer bulb is rock hard. The floor was cut, and those boards were laid down and screwed in, to what? I am not sure. There is also what looks like to be "Great Stuf" the foaming insulation in a can, that is sprayed around the boards. I do not believe it is glazed, is this like sealant like for a deck? The same concept anyways?

I am excited to begin the work, as I know I have a long road and plan to take pictures as I go. I will take some more pictures here shortly, a day or two, and then I look forward to the guidance that may be available from this site!

W

jbcurt00

Staff member
Your description of the 'new' plywood and use of Great Stuff doesnt bode well for what you'll find below that plywood.

Wear a mask while taking the plywood out. It most definitely needs to come out.

wheeman2222

Cadet
What is under it? Are we looking at lots of mold, or more of the area of asbestos? I wont have a problem either way, but I just want to be sure I am prepared for what I am going to be digging into... Were the original floors all fiberglass? Or is the wood in the middle normal? I had a 1978 viking deck boat, and it had wooden floorboards. And I have been reading some other posts, and excuse my ignorance, but is "glassing" lay fiberglass over what ever is being mentioned? Will that need to be laid over the new boards when I put new ones in?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Look thru other fiberglass rebuilds, which is where I'm moving this.

Deck (floor) plywood probably covers waterlogged foam, NOT Great Stuff, the OEM flotation foam and stringers that need to be replaced plus its highly likely the transom will need replaced as well. All of that wet and funky.

The OEM deck was probably plywood covered by fiberglass (mat/cloth), polyester resin and gelcoat.

Like I said, lots to do before building an interior

harleyman1975

Ensign
If that is a Mercury "Force" you'll be ok but if it is a Chrysler "Force" maybe not so much. Guys are right about getting the plywood up and seeing what is under it. you will be looking for rotten stringers and transom. give the motor a good bounce and look if transom flexes (it should not flex at all...should be rock solid).

wheeman2222

Cadet
From the research, I believe it is a Mercury Marine Force. It is 125 HP Below is the tag that is included with it. I hope by saying that I am ok, that you are referring to the motor being of good quality and a superior motor than the Chrysler Force.

wheeman2222

Cadet
Look thru other fiberglass rebuilds, which is where I'm moving this.

Would you be able to point me in the direction of these? Or send a link to one or two of those good threads? The only ones I have been able to find are the ones that are more recent, and it is usually you having them go look at other rebuilds as well. Being new to the site, I am horrible at looking through it right now. I understand not wanting to beat a dead horse when you tell people that, but would you be able to post a few links to the good ones that have good pictures and good instructions/advice for them?

Thanks!

wheeman2222

Cadet
Would you be able to point me in the direction of these? Or send a link to one or two of those good threads? The only ones I have been able to find are the ones that are more recent, and it is usually you having them go look at other rebuilds as well. Being new to the site, I am horrible at looking through it right now. I understand not wanting to beat a dead horse when you tell people that, but would you be able to post a few links to the good ones that have good pictures and good instructions/advice for them?

Thanks!

I found them in the sticky, at the top of this section. I will begin to look. i do not thing that the stringers are bad, the floor seem solid all the way around. This weekend I am going to be able to dive deep into it, and I will open up the floor to be sure. I will also Check the transom as well. I believe it is sturdy though.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Check out Marks post (it is a huge one titled something like twin 165's in a formula) he did a super job of documenting his work and was a novice glasser who did top notch work so you won't feel like you have to be a pro do do a good safe solid repair.

wheeman2222

Cadet
So here is what I got completed today. I got the old floor ripped up, which was actually held down and voids filled in with great stuff expanding foam. Then there was the old foam underneath. I finished pulling all the floor and foam that I am going to do. All I need to do now is measure for new stringers, Draw the ski locker I want to put in, and begin to fabricate it. The stringers in there now aren't the best, but for the life span of the boat, they will do as we are going to butt new stringers up to them and marry them together and glass over all of it. we are also going to add a drain from the the ski locker to the well in the rear. I dont have a picture of it all completed, I think the camera didnt save it. Other than that here is what I have:

Starting off:

This is how it looked currently:

This was the great stuff they were holging it down with:

First board pulled up, to find the old foam (probably factory) and great stuff which helped adhere the boards to the stringers as well.

All boards removed...

Status
Not open for further replies.