fiberglass questions

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat is a 88 Maxum I/O, 20 feet. Completely redoing the floor, runners, engine mounts, bow storage, consoles and most likely the transom.

plans are the typical CSM/1708 layers for the floor and runners.

My question comes when I redo the consoles and other stuff in the front. Whats needed for layers to make it last? Is only layer of CSM enough or does it need more?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
jopes, that really depends on what the console is made out of or going to be made out of. If you're going for a solid fiberglass setup, then even rovening could be needed. If you are using thin plywood, 1708 and CSM is the better choices. So explain what you are building with. JMHO!

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class
For the consoles I was planning on 1/2" marine plywood.

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some sort of paint. I don't want any carpet in this boat as it is mainly used for fishing.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If all you're gunna do is paint it then a couple of layers of CSM should Prolly suffice. Again Pics will help us to give the best advice.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay are you talking about simply repainting your present console(s) OR are they rotted and you want to rebuild them OR are you even removing them to build new ones? If the present consoles are in good solid condition, you don't need to coat them with anything but primer and paint. JMHO!

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class
Rebuilding. The current wood all around the boat has poor paint job from the factory to seal the wood up.

I don't want to start the project with the runners and floor and have to do the other half in a year or 2.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'm not aware of any manufacturer making consoles the way you describe. Or the bolstered upholstry panels.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm not aware of any manufacturer making consoles the way you describe. Or the bolstered upholstry panels.
Yeah, me neither. They are all usually molded with the top cap and totally made from fiberglass and Gelcoat. But, I HAVE been proven wrong before sooo, if you post some pics showing that yours are in fact wood encapsulated in fiberglass then I'll eat the Humble Pie again!!!!:facepalm:

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class
I guess it is the console bases I am talking about. The upper part is glass.