1981 17ft Beachcraft restore or am i just wasting money

I guess my main question is if i restore the floor and put some time in to the paint and interior would my return on investment be worth it if and when i want to sell the boat?

Attachments

• IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    357.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Probably not

Typically most boats arent like a good vintage car, and a 1981 17ft Beechcraft isnt likely on anyone's MUST HAVE list.

Look at your local market. What are other 34yr old boats selling for? I'd bet most are priced at or below what it would cost to fix this one. Besides, even if you do a perfect restoration or perfect resto-mod, its still a 34yr old boat when your done.

However, a completely redone boat would be a good, safe and useable boat for less money then a similar near mint condition water ready boat would cost.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'm restoring an 85 Larson at the moment. Is it worth it? To me yes. I'll never get the money back that I have into it, but I don't plan on selling it either. It'll be worth the pleasure I get when using it, and the people who see a 1985 pristine boat will make it feel good to me. Unless you are going to totally gut it and start from the bottom and work your way up, including paint and upholstery, like I am It won't be done correctly. just redoing the floor, they usually need transom, and stringers at that point. They rot from the bottom up.

yeah at this point i be leave the outboard is worth more then the boat itself my wife is pushing me to go ahead and fix it up just looking for other people views. i know wouldn't get a ton of money for it but I got the boat for $500.

i like the color just needs to be cleaned up and waxed i plan on doing the floor and interior new seats stringers the whole thing the transom seems to be in good shape i guess i want really know tell i get in to it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Well, at this point you own it. So starting the process by dogging in will only cost you time, if you have a few hand and power tools.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
In order to KNOW what you're in for the deck will have to come out and the stringers and transom will need to be core sampled. If they need to be replaced then you'll have to Pop the cap of the boat and do a total restoration. IF you do all the work yourself you're looking @ approximately a $2,000 investment and 100-200 man hours hot, itchy tedious work. Lots of knowledageable help here on the forum so if you decide to do the restoration, you're definitely at the right spot.

well i took the plunge started removing the floor stringers are shot foam is full of water not sure about the transom just yet it looks like Beachcaft missed a spot where i thing foam should have been right in the middle.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
it looks like Beachcaft missed a spot where i thing foam should have been right in the middle.
Maybe Not!!! Post up some pics so we can see what you see. It may be they left the middle void of foam to allow for drainage. I fear you'll find the transom will need replacing too. Most boats of this vintage and in this stage of dis-repair do!!!

No Title

its ruff but this is what i got. black lines are stringers

Attachments

• photo238725.JPG
    photo238725.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hmmm

I'd bet that hull also came as an I/O. That void would be where the tank went. The I/O motor would have been where your tank is now.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Mines an io, and it needed everything, from the keel to the top. But for 200 bucks it's worth it to me, the motor came out, and re-gasketed, and the cylinder's look great, I ran it hard for a season to make sure it was a good engine/ drive, and then decided it was worth restoring. The area it came from has a lot of small lakes that you can only ski and run decent on maby twice a year, so I figure it sat quite a bit and has low hours considering the age. Have fun!

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
its worth it, unless you got 25,000 for a new boat - that is if you got this kind of boat rebuilding work ethic. It wont be easy.

hosteter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you like the boat just fix it and enjoy :) you will be satisfied when you see what have you done.the boats are luxury and they just eat money.but we must put our money somewhere.we cant eat it :) i am restoring a boat to.