Steel fused to Aluminum?

Kitch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am restoring 1974 holiday and found a piece of rusty SWOLLEN up steel in the very worst spot,under the center of the
transom knee along with hooks sinkers and coins, just need to dissolve it with out hurting the aluminum???? steel in alum.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
KItch, are you certain that is rusty metal and not some crude accumulated in the corner? I would use some type cleaner first and see if it all comes out. I can't see steel type metal and aluminum in that setup. But I could be wrong. But that would be the very first time I was wrong in about ten minutes too. :facepalm:

dozerII

Admiral
Looking at the picture here and the one in the S/C forum, your knee brace is in need of some repair, why not remove it, clean all the crud out from underneath it and repair any corrosion the steel may have caused. You can also then repair the knee brace.

Kitch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
DOZERII
You hit the nail on the head,I thought about it and looked at it ...its only a few rivets and I can Beef up the top end too.
thanks for the input. I guess closed end alum rivets and 5200?????????any other options?

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
water, baking soda , and DC electrical current will dissolve rust.

dozerII

Admiral
DOZERII
You hit the nail on the head,I thought about it and looked at it ...its only a few rivets and I can Beef up the top end too.
thanks for the input. I guess closed end alum rivets and 5200?????????any other options?

The knee brace is a very Important structural member for the transom, myself I would only use solid rivets to re install it.

rickryder

Commander
Did you read warnings on the label?

DO NOT use oven cleaner to clean aluminum!

Yes I have ... Can EASY-OFF? Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner be used on any aluminum?
We do not recommend using this product on aluminum, as it may pit and discolor it. However, it does not penetrate into the metal or remain on the surface after the recommended rinsing instructions have been followed. Utensils and appliances cleaned with EASY-OFF? Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner are completely safe for use in cooking or serving food after they have been thoroughly washed and rinsed in a vinegar and water solution.

so as long as you dont leave on for hours i dont see a huge problem. I used it to clean off my aluminum fuel tank on the outside with no problems...scrub it down and rinse it off.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yes I have ... Can EASY-OFF? Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner be used on any aluminum?
We do not recommend using this product on aluminum, as it may pit and discolor it. However, it does not penetrate into the metal or remain on the surface after the recommended rinsing instructions have been followed. Utensils and appliances cleaned with EASY-OFF? Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner are completely safe for use in cooking or serving food after they have been thoroughly washed and rinsed in a vinegar and water solution.

so as long as you dont leave on for hours i dont see a huge problem. I used it to clean off my aluminum fuel tank on the outside with no problems...scrub it down and rinse it off.

That's nice for a flat surfaced fuel tank that can be easily cleaned off.

Poor advice with all the crevices and seams in an aluminum boat. Virtually impossible to ensure all the corrosive residue is removed. In other words, it can work on the aluminum for hours, days and weeks.

You go ahead an use it, I stand by my saying not to use it. Easy-Off says the same as I do - Not recommended.

Kitch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am using EVAP O RUST safe for aluminum,we will see how well it works. If I can make it work without pulling the knee that would save me
some skins, because I wont have to buy a rivet tool for solid rivets. DOZERII is right pull it, I'm going to see if this stuff works.

Kitch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After 1 week soaking in evaporust I pulled one washer out.still one fused stuck under the knee brace. ATT00001.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Carp, good job getting the 1 out, now for the other....

Hope the other isnt hiding corrosion of the aluminum. Check very closely, now is the time to fix it..

Kitch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the aluminum is in perfect condition,its just in the small opening between the hull and the transom knee.that is where it was when it started rusting
and then as it got more rust on it it got stuck in it.

Kitch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
EVAO-O-RUST is awesome stuff if you can let it soak for a WEEK.