What wood should I use for interior side panels?

Dtropnevad

Cadet
OK, so I bought a 84 Larson Admiral Day last winter, it is in good condition or so I have been told. The only rot is in all of the side trim panels so I removed them this fall will rebuild and recover with one solid color. I was thinking of buying standard plywood cutting it to size including all holes (throttle, speakers etc.) then priming it with an epoxy primer and a top coat. I will be using brass or SS threaded inserts with SS bolts (10-32) with fender washers to attach the panels.

Question is what thickness plywood should I use and do this sound like a good plan? Any and all ideas are welcome. BTW I have SS staples and trim glue (3M) to attach the vinyl and foam.

Thanks Don

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
So far it all sounds good.... Make sure and use treated exterior grade plywood. 1/2" is what I used. Make sure your spray adhesive is rated for foam... Some are too "HOT" and can melt foam/fabric. You're off to a good start my friend! Oh yeah, and :welcome: aboard!

Ned L

Commander
What thickness came out? I would be surprised if it was half inch, probably 1/4 or 3/8 if they were just ceiling panels (the stuff that covers the inside of the hull is called the ceiling, nothing to do with what is over your head.) Regular exterior plywood is fine, something like BCX. If you want to go the extra mile you can coat then with epoxy. a regular oil based enamel will work fine (even just 'Rustoleum' will work fine).

Dtropnevad

Cadet
I might be able to get a measurement but almost all of it just crumbled as I took it off lol. There is some good wood near the middle of the two larger pieces, it looks like 7/16" not 1/2". The pieces up front by the seats go from the gunwale to the floor then the rest is only about a foot wide going to the stern and across the stern. My biggest concern is I don't want to ever do this again so I want to make sure all of the wood is sealed 100% after all the cuts and holes are in place.

Tired to upload some pics but can't get them to load?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The paint will help but the key to sealing plywood is the edges and the staples and and any other holes you put in the wood.Water will find it's way into any penetration into the wood. You must seal them.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
I read somewhere ( but have not tried it personally ) that you can staple in strarboard -- which does not rot. The cost would be high in comparison to wood.

I redid my side panels with plywood and coated them with epoxy -- I know the staples will allow some water to penetrate -- but hoping that slows down the rot process. // Keeping the boat under a DRY cover will also help.

Boats that have leaks in the covers often pass water into those areas. That in turn causes the plywood to fail much more quickly.

Dtropnevad

Cadet
OK I figured out the photo posting, wasn't coping the correct code lol. Here are a few pics of the boat. I'm just going with a single color so I can do the work myself. Most likely a burgundy. Also I need to figure out how to get the paint off the bottom so I can repaint it. I'm thinking of mayby just having that done, at least the removal anyway.
20151111_150330_zpsq53rcq9b.jpg
20151108_103344_zpsgsdajumf.jpg
20151108_104301_zpse7mmbsyb.jpg

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am wondering if water was entering after the windshield ends as the top surfaces drain toward the rear of the boat. // It tends to do that with covers that do not go over the windshield. Side panels tend to trap some of the water and rot // It looks as if something was added to help route the water but its hard to tell by those pics.

I just did mine over and used 1/2 MDO coated with epoxy. I wrapped that in vinyl. The first set lasted a long time and did not have epoxy so it seemed like the practical thing to do. BC plywood and Rust-Oleum would be a lower cost option.