1970 starcraft V180

trevskidoo

Seaman Apprentice
So i got this boat for a song and dance. Motor runs just needs an impeller. My last boat had the same motor so im pretty familiar with that. Now the boat had about 4 to 5 inch of ice and i thawed most out. Bad news is they used home carpet. I think the floors are orig because there fiberglass over plywood. Its soild outside and inside. But what should i do next. Pull the wood or leave it. Or should i just wait till spring. I can get pictures of the transom tomorrow. Also any info on the boat would be great. Its model number has 180 in it. And its an 18ft boat. Has a 84 merc 115.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Raise the bow a little higher, crank up the heat and make sure the plug is out of it.

Filled w ice and snow above decks(floor) means its likely got ice below decks too.

That isnt likely the original deck, its been replaced as have the side panels

Going to have to get it much warmer then that oil heater will make the garage, or wait til spring.

Welcome to iboats.

Dig in and take a look at other fiberglass rebuilds. Most of them will have similar work to what lies ahead.

jbcurt00

Staff member
And plan on replacing the car seats. They arent rated for a boat, esp not the helm seat (drivers)

trevskidoo

Seaman Apprentice
Appreciated. That oil heater was just to warm up the boat itself. We have a kero heater in there aswell. Its been 80 degrees for a few days now. My main goal was to get the carpet out so it wouldnt melt and sit. Itll be sitting in my car port with tin roof till spring. That was what i was not hoping to hear, the ice under wood. I guess I'll be looking deeper. Im having trouble finding threads. Im looking in the starcraft resto thread and all im finding is alum boats. Would my boat be a 70? Im just going off paperwork. I can get the numbers tomorrow.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Maybe a 1970.

Its pre issuance of HIN zo there probably wont be a number stamped on the transom. If you find a riveted plate w a HIN its probably state issued when someone bought or sold it.

Sometimes you can make an educated guess that the boats year matches the motors, if it looks like its the original motor. From what I've seen so far it could go either way, original motor or not original....

trevskidoo

Seaman Apprentice
according to some old starcraft brochures i found online, they did make a v-180 in 1970. fiberglass. I just can't find anything in the
"starcraft rebuilds and restorations forum"

jbcurt00

Staff member
Then probably a V180 if the brochure pix match yours.

Yes, the SC forum is predominantly tin boats. You're much more likely to get help w pending fiberglass work here in the resto forum

trevskidoo

Seaman Apprentice
10-4! Yeah, shes sittin in the car port now. It'll be some time before i dig into her. First order of business is get it to the river and float around, Now if the deck goes all the way to the transom, i'd assume it has a bilge pump. My last boat was a 71 cobia fisherman center console. The water collected in the rear box where the drain hole was in view from inside the boat and outside. So i should go float for an hour or so and pull it out and pull the plug? or is there another way to see if theres water under deck?

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Water under the deck may include saturation of foam flotation that may take months to completely drain if it's been subjected to water for a while. And even the ice below deck will take a long time to thaw, considering it's protected from heat like a foam insulated freezer. I expect that any under deck wood that's not sealed from moisture may continue to rot long after the drainage stops, simply because it can't dry. If you're lucky, it's still all sealed.

trevskidoo

Seaman Apprentice
So, its still thawing out under deck, i get about a 3 gallon bucket a day, give or take. I bought a 17ft inboard open bow with a karavan wobble roller trailer today for 100 bucks. I've always heard good things about the wobble trailers, i gotta measure some things but the boats look similar in shape, i don't think i'll have ot adjust anything besides the bow stop.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm, not sure what your heard, but...those wobble roller trailers are NOT the best trailers for fiberglass boat hulls. they have a tendency to put indentations in hull over time. A Bunk Trailer is a much better trailer!!!

trevskidoo

Seaman Apprentice
I like the wobble rollers because there's so many of the rollers. Every roller you can turn by hand with the boat on it. Evenly distributed.

trevskidoo

Seaman Apprentice
So I plan to get the boat out this Friday now on when I have it on thawing in the garage I did not see any bilge pump access panel in the back. Once I look into this further and actually see if there is an access panel if there is not what should I do. From my understanding on way to tell if there's any water underneath the floor is so the bilge access panels

trevskidoo

Seaman Apprentice
So it has a bilge area, good news. So i don't think theres any under deck water. Whoever did the resto before i got it did a great job. I assume the jackhat who bought it from that guy put the house carpet in it.. I'll be replacing it with rubber back green carpet from lowes. Im going to try and do it all one piece so if any water goes in, it'll got back to the bilge compartment. My next goal is to get it in the water and float around. I got the motor running, not pumping water, and won't start without me choking carb or excessively pumping the primer, so im going to do the carbs, diaphragm kits to the pump and an impeller. My last boat had a 72 115 merc, so im familiar with the motor, i've found this is a 84, and im having a hard time with the impeller kit and fuel pump kit.. I have a picture of the serial and the fuel pump. If anyone has any guidance, i'd appreciate it! I can't wait to rewire the whole boat. I enjoy wiring. But i don't enjoy "fixing" wiring.

Serial.
0312162158_zpsswiydt4i.jpg

Fuel pump
IMG_1411_zps9283pk42.jpg

Bilge area. YAY
IMG_1408_zpssnmwbcwm.jpg

Front of boat.
IMG_1410_zpswmznnbg2.jpg

trevskidoo

Seaman Apprentice
All this warm weather I've gotten a lot more water out. Hopefully I can test the bilge soon and get that going. Gonna order some parts Friday and try to get it pumping water and running better so I can take it out and float a bit. Then it's wire time and carpet!

Mods. I suppose since it not really questions anymore and more of a "progress" thread. We could probably call it. 1970 starcraft v180

Vintage Rider

Seaman
It might be good to give some thought to how all the water coming out of your boat got in there before you lay the new carpet.While you're doing that, it wouldn't hurt to give some thought to what that water turning into ice (expanding) might have had on everything underneath the deck. Have you drilled any holes to find out? Better (and cheaper) to take the time now than to find out that you should have later.

trevskidoo

Seaman Apprentice
Everything seems solid. I really don't velive any water got under the floor. All the water has been from the ice on the floor and the bilge box full. Once I get the ice out of the bilge, and water continues to come out. I will have to tear into it further.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The 'recent' snow in the boat is the only snow or water that's ever been sitting in the boat?

Hope for the best, but plan for the worse.

The pix you've posted indicate its a typical 70s boat, and likely to have problems below deck.

Good luck, hope thats not the case.

trevskidoo

Seaman Apprentice
I'm hoping so. I plan on doing the best I can and probably selling it. I really want an open bow. But you never know!