Will changing the centre of gravity effect planeing?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
This will be my second post here. I have read for many hours and enjoyed the iboats forums, boat restorations being my favorite.

A group of us here on the north shore of Erie yes Canucks will buy repair and flip boats during the winter. we have more than 200 years of unique experience between us If we count the hours we probably make 2 bucks an hour when all is said and done, hopefully we don't loose money. It's a hobby not a business. We currently have a 1990 StarCraft, 19 footer. There isn't any paper work or markings to tell us the model. Almost identical to my 1995, 19 foot StarCraft Superfisherman 190, 90% identical hull. It is being converted from a full walk through windshield with front and rear casting platform just like mine, to a centre council and removing the rear casting platform. It has been presold and the owner is making the calls for materials and design with our advice within his budget. 300 rivets on the hull have been replaced as well as on some stringers, new electrics run. It is ready for foam etc,. This won't be up for any StarCraft awards here when we are done. But it will be a nice all around Lake Erie fishing machine when done.

My question is this, will removing the rather heavy full windshield set up and replacing it with a light weight Aluminum centre, or center oops, control council and single seat greatly effect getting her on plane? The final position for the new council is almost dead center of the hull. The old council that butted up the front platform is 20" rear of where that old council sat. I wish I knew the weight differential but I don't.

Will she get on plane well? Thank you for your help ahead of time.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I don't think the change you're proposing will change the planing characteristics that much. You're removing weight from the stern casting area and from the forward windshield and console. I think the greatest difference in planing comes from passenger load and location, so the console location changes the number and placement of most of the weight. A heavy cooler will also make some difference, but that's relocatable as needed. A 19' boat with adequate power will plane the same, I think, once the engine is properly trimmed. - Grandad

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think by lightening the static hull by converting to a CC and removing the rear casting deck will only help with planing. The weight of passengers and gear, along with how this weight is distributed, will have more effect on planing. If the boat does have difficulty planing with a normal load, trim tabs can help make a difference.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
What's your powerplant gunna be??

Thanks Woodonglass for the reply. We suggest nothing smaller than a 115HP 150 max, but the owner is talking 90 because of budget. I hope he goes 115 , my StarCraft is 115 and is plenty.

GABoater, (Georgia? I lived near the Peachtree airport in Atlanta for a few years that's a long way from Hamilton Ont. where I grew up. Again thanks. I really don't think it will be a big difference and he will have to find her planeing sweet spot like every other boat. The 19' StarCraft hull styles in my experience always sit on the bow "high" side, mine does and that was a concern too. That's what ballast weight is for and to not get too fancy it can be a cooler full of ice and "soda" pop and water, maybe even Lake Erie Perch or Pickerel . The bow platform is going to have a door for floor storage so adding weight is no big deal, it's nice not to have too add more weight as fuel here is 5 bucks a gallon, more at the Marina's.

Grand Dad, thanks Sir. It was the weight removed that I think is balanced by the wt. that is going further back will offset itself. An option is too move the new council further back and build in a cooler/seat in front of the new council so someone can sit on it. I personally don't like that set up. 2 of the guys have 21' StarCrafts with a seat fore of the council. 1 came out of the factory like that. The position of the new council I find out today was based on that boat and the previous retro we did on another StarCraft going from full windshield to center counc. So it should be good. I don't like anyone blocking my view when I'm driving a boat. Especially if you can see the size of some of the fat butts we fish with. I told Steve, the owner, that I would ask the experts here before we start screwing down new floors.

We love StarCrafts up here I guess. 4 out of 6 of us that fish together all have StarCrafts.

Thanks again
Johnny D, Selkirk On.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The owner is a bit nervous I get that. It can't be fun buying something and not knowing what the final bill will be. He's going to get a big surprise when he finds out it will be material cost and maybe, maybe some bucks to cover lunches and Beer only. Beer is expensive here though. He is a friend of ours not a customer. He is a flooring guy and we are planning on getting our Ladies new floors this year, cheap!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
His anticipated passenger load and cargo should dictate the engine size. IMHO I have to agree with you the 115 would be ideal and they are GREAT motors!!! With that power plant and proper cargo/passenger placement planing should NOT be an issue!!!

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Grew up in Hamilton, eh? Maybe our paths crossed depending upon how Old the Ironworker is. I was born and raised in Hamilton, attended Westdale SS about the same time as Martin Short and company. My brother, father-in-law, brother-in-law and uncle also worked in the steel mills. - Grandad

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Grandad, Martin Short is a few years older than I. I grew up on the opposite side of town in Rosedale. I was at what is now US Steel Canada the former Stelco Inc. which is under bankruptcy protection, we have a mess here. There is a chance I worked with the family if they were at Stelco before 2000.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I don't believe that the hull being able to plane will change although one thing to consider. If that hull was designed with dual consoles then it would most likely rely on them to some extent for hull integrity or rigidity. The center console SC put out is the Mariner it has more substantial bracing on the sides of the hull to compensate for not having any cross section bracing that consoles and cabins offer.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
An excellent point. The retrofit from full windscreen and walk through to centre council on the 21' StarCraft was done 7 years ago with no issues, yet. The hull is still open to the bare bones, any suggestions to add strength to the hull before it has insulation sprayed in? We believe the hull was manufactured with foam sections laid in as there is no evidence whatsoever of sprayed in styrene. Will the sprayed in closed cell stiffen up the hull H20 man?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The expanding foam surely can't hurt but my thoughts we're that there could be a problem from the rib ends down under the decking. More so the sides of the hull not having enough support. A few well placed pieces similar to those found in a Mariner on each side should be sufficient to add strength to the hull. I found a pic of what I'm talking about.

inside.jpg

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Yes, yes. I see that set up on Teds StarCraft Mariner 2100 that was a walk around from the factory. We have the aluminum and tools to make a few. If they already haven't planned to beef it up I will suggest it.