Should i be worried over these scratches and if so what would be a good repair?

Bman2895

Seaman
Well i ran the trim up and down a couple times and its normal now. so i guess it was just the cold?

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
A decent dual action sander is all he needs for right now, just needs to get down to the GEL coat under the paint to see what he is dealing with.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No, it's not normal for your trim to behave different. I would at least drain and refill the system. Look for evidence of moisture in the oil

I personally would be less focused on a temporary jb weld patch and not focused on fixing it right. The proper fish will cost you just a bit more than slathering it with JB weld, however it will take about 8 hours

Bman2895

Seaman
Well like I said I ran it up and down a couple times and it straightened out. I do plan on changing the fluid. I don't see any evidence of leaking anywhere. And it worked perfectly fine when warm. So maybe I'm low on fluid or there is moisture.

Bman2895

Seaman
The guy said it had been before he took it out to test run it for me. And I/O? If your referring to if its an outboard or inboard its outboard

Bman2895

Seaman
Is my hull double layered? because that hole and supposedly the repair is only thought what appears to be the outside layer. i went out and checked my JB patch and well it peeled right off like it never set. and what i noticed is i then had a slightly bigger hole than what i had? anyhow i took a dremel and cleaned the hole out to solid material all the way around, I notices there was some moisture as some water would accumulate into drops. i took a shop vac to the hole and vacuumed until it was dry and didnt try to accumulate. well for the time being i decided i simply must not have used the JB correctly and i was right. i worked the epoxy much longer and after roughing the area up i pressed it into the hole and surrounding the area a bit like the instructions said. as i pressed it in i noticed it also pressed moisture out. Well i kept at it until nothing would press out of the area. and then i did a final application of JB and within an hour it set up hard as a rock and smooth. so what i wonder is. Is that water in there from my last time out on the water before i found the hole? because i pressed around in the hole and i mean i pressed hard and everything was solid and had zero give so am i just catching the water in there recent.(very small small amount mind you) Or is it more likely the water has been in there awhile? but wouldn't that have caused the under layer i see to rot and be even alittle bit soft? But back to the original question is it designed in some double layer? also will i be okay with the JB patch until summer when i can glass it? or will it actually rot in that time? (probably going to do the glass repair as soon as weather is staying about in the 70s.) also can i glass it on the trailer? or do i need to go as far to remove the motor and find a way to flip the boat?

jbcurt00

Staff member
W out being hands on, no way to be definitive about any of your questions, except that no, its not likely duoble hulled. Theres the lower hull thats been painted and the inner 'tub' thats got the seats, consoles and etc molded into it. Between them is a plywood stringer/bulkhead structure and flotation foam.

Didnt work last time, and as I've said numerous times, the prior poorly done repair makes it very suspect that there is more damage and water below decks in the foam then you think.

If its been repaired w bondo, below the water line, and the bondo is exposed to water, it'll absorb water and become a playdoh like mess.

Bman2895

Seaman
Well the foam (the little there appears to be) is sprayed to the underside of the deck from what i can tell. there seems to be little to no room between the outer layer and the second layer i saw in the hole. im talking maybe 1/8th" . thats what confused me as there is see no room between these layers for anything, also i cant really see any traditional looking stringers. im sure theres some form of stringer i just cant see it. its not bondo. the old repair is some form of epoxy steel as i did sand into it a bit. Hard stuff, The JB waterweld is also not bondo so it shouldnt be an issue so far as water contact goes. and from my sanding i saw no evidence of bondo. But i do have a question on something i saw the other day at good old wal-mart. Whats the consensuses on Bondo-glass? its an interesting product. but i figure its still mostly bondo at its base? just wondering if its ever been used by anyone and what were the results.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You were asking about something rotting from being wet, were you talking about wood or glass, wood rots, glass doesn't.

The double layer part, most likely it only looks like two layers, it is either delamination in the hull laminate from damage, or where a stringer came loose, sort of the same thing, but not quite.

The Walmart Bondo stuff is not what you want.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The water is seeping out of the gap between the 2 layers of delaminated hull?

Then the damage does extend out beyond the previous, poorly done repair by the previous owner.

Bman2895

Seaman
Okay so el cheapo repair report. So far so good! had it out numerous times and its holding up strong. the repair is as solid as the rest of the hull. and its been though some rough choppy water.( ya know beating the hull) and its doing great. however. whats not doing great is anything i attempt to paint it with. just peels off after a trip. it sticks to the epoxy its self perfectly fine so far. but the surrounding hull it just peels, Now of course ive only tried some different spray options. Black enamel paint. Even the high dollar in the can bed liner peels. and i do let it cure properly and apply coats. and i just now caught the question. there is no delamination of the hull. atleast not like ive looked up.

While i do have some worse news. so i did actually find some foam in the boat. in the back under where the batteries set, i noticed the passenger side where the battery set the wood was rotten. so i dug out what i could and found a cap. under it is the foam. which you guessed it. is moist. so i plugged it back and layed a peice of plywood over where the old rotten one was and sealed it in. well. this prompted me to check the other. while the wood isn't rotten apart.it looks dark, but its still very solid. so i found the cap and yep. also wet foam. now that has me worried about the transom, but ive noticed no flex out of it. very solid. haven't drilled it, but dont really want to, so yes there is more wetness and a bit of rotten wood. under the batteries.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Soooo, what the dark damp wood is telling you is, you might have this season and possibly even next season before this boat is going to be totally unsafe to operate. Make sure to always wear your PFD's and notify someone that you will be on the water so if anything catastrophic happens they'll know where to come loooking.El Cheapo repairs can only carry you for so long until something goes wrong!!!!:eek::facepalm:

Bman2895

Seaman
I dont think the boat is in any danger of catastrophic failure. Its a very solid boat over all. and boy it rides the water incredibly smooth and stable. But yes. Hopefully nothing deteriorates and it lasts me a season or two. im going to look into the repairs to the boat, but the way the back is built around the batteries and transom id have to completely gut the boat to even replace the foam and wood. whats funny the PO drilled some holes into the sides of the area where the batteries set to drain water from the wet foam. useless really, but they are working as you can see water very slowly draining out of them into the bilge area, im going to post some pics up so you can get the idea.