Old Aristocraft boat, 1950ish?

YBinc

Cadet
Lol still learning. I have to get a trailer yes. But I feel I could get one kinda cheap around here. If I have to do some fab work then ok. I have $1000 in it and I am looking to get it sea worthy for less than $2000 more.

jbcurt00

Staff member
That 2K may be a challenge depending on what the boat needs, ya know, besides pretty much everything..

Age, sun and weather is hard on fiberglass

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So you bought the Merc 1500 for a grand with a free boat that is too much power for the free boat? The free boat is going to take a lot of work. A lot!

Click this for Aristocraft info - http://www.aristocraftboats.com/index.html

Look around and maybe contact them with some pics. 16' doesn't match, although there is a 16' 1" Funliner. It is a Funliner and the max power I can find is 110 HP, but it all depends on which Funliner it is. A 35 Lark wouldn't be much fun. JMHO.

YBinc

Cadet
Just throwing this out there. That boat beside mine. The boat with the merc on it is way smaller than this boat. He ran around 80mph with that motor. The schematic shared earlier showed 100hp at 42mph. I figure with this boat loaded down with my family, cooler, maybe another couple people... MAYBE it will go 60mph. What is wrong with that? Am I missing something? Sincerely asking here.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Theres a formula to rating the max hp that can go on a boat, safely.

Not saying he didnt do it or go that fast, but he was outside the performance envelope of the boat and past the max rating of the boat, IMO.

Happens often, but you're not likely to get much traction or support for it here.

Google chine walk and ask your boss how it felt, because in that boat w that motor at 80mph he experienced it.

Then ask your Admiral to watch a chine walking video and ask if she'd want to be aboard when it starts.... Admiral = your significant other

The other boat is also designed as a go fast and has a drastically different hull shape

The Aristocraft isnt

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why do you want to run around at 60 MPH with your family on board in a wee boat?

A lot can go wrong quickly at high speed, especially with an over-powered small boat. It's all about safety, YB.

YBinc

Cadet
Ok. I take both your posts to heart. I care about my family's safety first and foremost. That being said. What goes through my mind is that I want a boat that would have no problem pulling up a skier or wakeboarder. I have a boat that appears big enough and a motor that can handle the job. If I find out how fast it can get up on my time then when my family is on board, adjust the operating parameters to a safe level. I can understand abiding by ratings. I'm not asking anyone to support my breaking them. I would however appreciate ANY advice on getting this thing ready for memorial day!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, I'm sorry, but Unless you can devote 60 hr weeks with help from friends and the Weather, and have had experience with Fiberglassing, Gelcoating & or Painting, woodworking Upholstering etc... & have a $3,000 dollar budget of more, There's no way you're going to have that Boat "Lake Ready" by Memorial day!!!! No Way!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
IDK know if its possible, might be ready by then, but a 1500 also outweighs a correctly sized OB.

A correctly sized OB would allow you to do all the watersports you want to do as well.

Knowing you plan to overpower the boat makes goving advice difficult.

You are a long way from mounting a motor.

Did you look up chine walking?

YBinc

Cadet
Good thing is I do paint and body and have a very loose schedule. I have a decent amount of marine knowledge. I do know how to fiberglass and I am confident I can do the gel coat.

Yes I did just watch a video on chine walking. I don't want to get that loose with it. I am pretty set on at least trying out the set up. I am sorry it comes across as overpowering but I consider this a more "work with what I got" situation. Eventually I plan on doing things like pulling off the rub rails, polishing them, fay sealing with sikaflex and tefgelling the hardware. But first I have to get it seaworthy. I honestly have questions about the mold in seats? Can I remove them and glass over to put in a built bench? I would really like it to have 2 seats up front and a 'U' shaped bench around the back... IDK just thinking out loud.

jbcurt00

Staff member
It doesnt come across as overpowering

It IS overpowering, by 50%

YBinc

Cadet
How does this prevent the ability to give advice on this setup? Pretend you are my friend and I tell you I am gonna do this and I need your help. You say OK but here's how we should do it. That's what I need.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Because its unsafe to consider running a 150 on a boat rated for a 100hp.

Doesnt matter what seats you put in it, its still unsafe.

And IMO, its not a run what ya got situation, I dont think you can make THAT boat safe to run THAT motor.

Simple

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Does the boat have a title ?
Unless your hearts set on this one maybe you could find a little larger boat with no motor ... Just thinking ...

YBinc

Cadet
My heart isn't set on the boat, no. I am however pretty set on that inline 6 :)