Slight leakage.....

Itsanss

Seaman Apprentice
Hey, ya'll. Got a question about our 1958 Texas Maid Falcon that we bought a few weeks ago. We got to take it out on its maiden (pun!) voyage this past Saturday. It did well! However, there was some slight "seepage" if you will, from around some of the joints in the floor and around a couple rivets. We were on the water just over three hours and in that time, we accumulated about two or three gallons of water in the boat. Nothing that concerned us too terribly much like we were going to sink or anything like that, but we were wondering what we could do to seal it up.

We had been toying around with the idea of having the inside sprayed with bedliner. We were thinking about doing this from an aesthetic standpoint, but now we wonder if something like that would also seal up any small cracks or crevices that may be leaking in a little. It's really not too big of a deal, but my buddy's wife that went with us was pissed when her coat sleeve inadvertently dipped down into the ice cold water on the floor of that boat. lol

Thanks!

jbcurt00

Staff member
To be clear, when you said boat 'floor' you were talking about the bottom of the hull, correct?

Not a wooden deck (floor) that is installed above the hull....

IMO, spraying the interior of the hull w a bedliner type product is a mistake. I had the excetional displeasure of removing bedliner from the hull of an aluminum boat.

A vintage Texas Maid is a great looking boat, bedliner would add nothing to it, except weight.

There are other, better products to achieve your goal.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Bedliner for a floor (interior) finish that resists abrasion and adds non-slip surface... OK

To seal leaks... NO.

Itsanss

Seaman Apprentice
To be clear, when you said boat 'floor' you were talking about the bottom of the hull, correct?

Not a wooden deck (floor) that is installed above the hull....

IMO, spraying the interior of the hull w a bedliner type product is a mistake. I had the excetional displeasure of removing bedliner from the hull of an aluminum boat.

A vintage Texas Maid is a great looking boat, bedliner would add nothing to it, except weight.

There are other, better products to achieve your goal.

Yes, by floor I mean hull. I?m a land-lubber, obviously! Lol

Hmm, yes bedliner would be near impossible to remove if it ever had to be. Weight was something we had considered. We figured it would likely add 60 lbs to overall weight of boat and weight is definitely a concern with this craft.

Bedliner for a floor (interior) finish that resists abrasion and adds non-slip surface... OK

To seal leaks... NO.

That?s exactly what we were thinking. Something durable, nice looking, and easy to clean.

What do ya?ll recommend for sealing the hull?

Thanks!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
QFT

To seal leaks... NO.

While it might be a short term fix bedliner to seal a boat is right there with putting a fresh coat of paint on to seal a boat (usually really short term)

Rebuck or replace leaking rivets, Gluvit/Coat it (products) to seal seams.

64osby

Admiral
Sealing it with Gluvit or Coat it would be the best option. Having a bilge pump with an auto and a manual switch would be the use it next week option.

Both of those would be the long term solution

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Sometimes, the leakage is so small as to be not worth bothering to try to stop it..

My 14 ft Lone Star Runabout leaked about a cup off water in 4 hrs. I could get that much over the gunwale hitting a wave at the wrong angle...

Trying to rebuck rivets with that little leakage is potentially just going to make it worse.