Best adhesive for marine carpeting?

Cobalt226

Cadet
I am re-carpeting all of the horizontal surfaces in my fishing boat and will be using a 20oz cut pile carpeting, nothing fancy. But I am reading all kinds of different opinions about what type of adhesive to use. Many have been happy with the water based marine carpet adhesives and many have not because they do not hold well when they get wet. Some have used DAP contact cement but it sounds more difficult to use.

Can anyone let me know what they have used and if they are happy with ease of installation and results?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Yep, I got my outdoor carpet adhesive at Lowes. Use a small notched trowel and let her rip!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
IMHO if you want to ensure it NEVER comes up...Use Weldwood Solvent Based Contact Cement. Make sure and prep the surface well.;) It may not be the most user friendly method but again, just my opinion, it's the best!:D Just pray you're NOT the one that has to remove It!!!!!:eek::jaw:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
IMHO if you want to ensure it NEVER comes up...Use Weldwood Solvent Based Contact Cement. Make sure and prep the surface well.;) It may not be the most user friendly method but again, just my opinion, it's the best!:D Just pray you're NOT the one that has to remove It!!!!!:eek::jaw:

nothing det chord or a 7" grinder and a flap wheel wont take care of.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes I like the Weldwood Solvent glue myself. And yes an angle grind will remove it, but not with out a lot of changing disks that plug. :facepalm: