Aluminum angle

Brian929

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
Looking to add some storage to my little Grumman GSS 14. I have decided to go with an aluminum angle frame. they will be port and starboard between the rear bench and mid. also looking to build a deck in the bow.
Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

Brian929

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here are views of the layout as of now. Storage port and starboard between rear bench and the middle storage/seats. deck would be base off bow seat and forward.

Thanks again.

Brian

Attachments

• photo236400.JPG
    photo236400.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237149.JPG
    photo237149.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Brian929, with a boat and engine in that size range, you need to keep everything as light weight as you can. So yes aluminum is a good option. But not only for the frame work. I'd use it for everything. Otherwise that engine will be struggling to move it around if you make heavy storage compartments. Same with the bow deck. Keep it light and strong. And remember to only use the deck after arriving at your fishing area. If you are on the deck while running, you will upset the balance of the hull. It will change the CG of the boat. Post some ideas of what you had in mind for us to see and we can make better suggestions. JMHO!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
What GM said frame with AL angle and cover it w/ AL sheet. The up front cost will be slightly higher but it should weigh less and won't need replaced as it won't rot. That's the most help I got without knowing what your wants and ideas are so as WOG said post some pics and give us an idea of what you'tr thinking.

Brian929

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

For the storage lockers I was thinking 32" Lx 14" Wx 16"H. 1 1/4" aluminum angle, aluminum sides, front and back. 1/2" marine on the top plywood on the top. Port would be storage for life vests, rod holders and anything else that needs to be stowed (tool box). Starboard would carry my battery charger, fuse panel and battery switch. Batteries, 1 port, 1 starboard in existing storage mid-deck.
I am open to ideas on the casting deck in the bow.

Thanks for the replies, suggestions and knowledge you are sharing.

Brian

Attachments

• photo237149.JPG
    photo237149.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 1

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like a nice project boat, looks like you have a nice plan. Not knowing what your budget allows, something to consider would be to look for a local metal fabrication business, take your drawings and get a quote on them fabricating what you described out of 1/16-1/8 aluminum. I've done this in the past, taking everything into consideration it is not really that expensive.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Merely an idea as I don't know how your boat sits in the water as is and it may add too much weight in the bow but I'd be temped to deck from the mid boxes forward like such putting the storage in the sides or perhaps all storage.

I do see your plan and think it will be better for weight distribution. I'm assuming the dimensions you gave above are going to just continue the mid boxes back to the rear bench. In that case for the casting deck I'd remove the wood from the front bench and replace it from the back of the bench into the bow with plywood. That small of a deck you either use a few pieces of angle riveted to the hull to make mounting tabs or make a small support structure that rivets to the factory ribs.

Hopefully this gives an idea of both methods

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
One thing to consider is elevated decking in the bow of a 14' boat can really make it prone to tipping when someone is standing up there and moves. Not knowing how stable your V hull is in the water, I would first think about mocking something up and testing it out. Most boats with a factory elevated bow deck are at least 16' long and have a wider beam than a 14'r and decking on the 14's are usually as yours is. It's a stability issue that boat manufacturers take into consideration so just saying.

Brian929

Seaman Apprentice
Watermann
Thank you for the advice, I don't plan on building anything but storage for now. I still have to remove my floor and take her for her maiden voyage and leak check, so there won't be much going on until spring.
For now I am searching the forum, learning and stocking up on batteries, and electrical gear (lights, switch panel, etc.).

Brian

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Depending on the weather where you are....you can remove all the interior, then use your garden hose and fill the boat with water, checking for and marking any spots where the hull is leaking. That's what I did on my 1988 Alumacraft.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
^^^ +1 that's I've done as well. You know exactly where the leak is and can mark it with a sharpie.