Closed Bow to Open Bow

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I posted a little while back about finding or make my current windshield into a walk through one because I had this idea in mind. I have a 1977 Crestliner Crusader 550 closed bow. In the same year and model there was a open bow one for 2 people up there. I found it while searching for more information on my boat after I bought it. I have been wanting to take on a project for a few years.

I have done a bit of research on this forum as well as the open web for previous conversions. I have mostly found closed bow to bass boat style, this has be a bit worried that it might not be a good idea to do my conversion as even with the ones I have found most people have advised against it but in the end liked the end result. I am thinking it should be pretty easy to do (well in my head anyway), I am already planning on redoing most of the inside of the boat cosmetically so this coming year would be the time to do it if ever.

What bits of advice can you give me? Also do you think it is a feasible project even without blueprints of the structure. I have a pretty good idea of what is under there and have a bit of a plan as to how I would re-support it to make it safe. Rather not do it and be safe than take a chance on it since this is the first boat someone else might be in it with me not just me that could get hurt anymore.

Here is a link to a imgur album with trailer and boat pics in it
http://imgur.com/a/8YMBD

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why don't you put a few pics in your post? The imgur site is slow and we have no idea what we're looking at except dozens of pics of parts of the boat. You need some showing the complete boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This will help the members understand what you're wanting to convert... IF you do it right and build Seat structures which will aid in supporting the sides of the hull, I don't see why you couldn't do it. I't fiberglass, you can do just about anything your mind can dream up, and your skill set will allow.

51Nz4xEgoOL.jpg

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Why don't you put a few pics in your post? The imgur site is slow and we have no idea what we're looking at except dozens of pics of parts of the boat. You need some showing the complete boat.
I qon't have any images of the full boat and can't get any till spring. So those are the best I have, sorry. WOG posted a decent one that gives you an idea.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Is that the exact same make, model and year as yours Josh?

If so, how is the dash built into the sides of the hull?

What does the structure up under the closed bow look like?

What exactly do you want the newly remodeled bow to look like?

W time, effort and money, you can rebuild it any way you want.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That's what it looked like almost 40 years ago. What does she look like today?

Has she been well taken care of in those 40 years or suffered 40 years of neglect? It's too hard to tell on imgur. Are the deck, stringers and transom solid? You need a good foundation for this.

If you aren't prepared to dump a bunch of money in her, I'd say leave her alone and save up for a open bow boat. You won't be saving any money by converting this one. All you'll have is the satisfaction.
I guess you plan on starting in the Spring, so you have a few months to research. I want you to make an informed decision, not an emotional one.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Is that the exact same make, model and year as yours Josh?

If so, how is the dash built into the sides of the hull?

What does the structure up under the closed bow look like?

What exactly do you want the newly remodeled bow to look like?

W time, effort and money, you can rebuild it any way you want.
Yes that is the exact year and model. The only image I have that is of the full boat is the one linked below. I would like it to fit with the new dash I am putting in and I would like to be able to fit 1-2 more people in the boat. The idea is that I would make under the seats storage as right now that space is just for a spare gas tank and anchor. Well some great leg room too. The whole front part is open underneath and a flat deck.

The structure up under there far as I can tell there is 2 supports going across the boat one at the dash that is likely to hold it in place and the other one looks to be just a board with fiberglass over to going across the bow on the underside. Other than that the front deck is solid enough I have had 2 people up there (about 280 lbs) with some gear and it had no flex. It has what looks like cosmetic boards and with the rails my original idea was to just make it a walk through windshield that you would climb up over the dash and sit up there while the boat is just floating.

I am not sure how the dash is connected and can't know till I start tearing it apart because other than seeing the one support board it is covered by plywood tabbed into place.My guess is that is goes into it at a 90 degree and is fiber glassed into it. But that is just a guess and and idea with no real support behind it other than looking at my 2 other boats.

http://imgur.com/MSxHt4h

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
That's what it looked like almost 40 years ago. What does she look like today?

Has she been well taken care of in those 40 years or suffered 40 years of neglect? It's too hard to tell on imgur. Are the deck, stringers and transom solid? You need a good foundation for this.

If you aren't prepared to dump a bunch of money in her, I'd say leave her alone and save up for a open bow boat. You won't be saving any money by converting this one. All you'll have is the satisfaction.
I guess you plan on starting in the Spring, so you have a few months to research. I want you to make an informed decision, not an emotional one.
It is pretty well cared for, core samples show nice dry and light coloured wood for the transom. Deck is solid all around. Does have some nicks in the gelcoat and some rubber marks from the trailer other than that and the bent railing on the front it is in pretty good shape. I do need to fix the power trim and a new prop but that is more just regular maintance you would expect.

I have no problem dumping money into it, I do want to do a project but have yet to find the right one and am thinking this might be it. Hoping to dig into it come spring and hopefully start the building process by August. I do plan to do some drawings up before starting to build and also figuring out how to support it to prevent possible structural issues in the future. I am guessing this boat will be with me for 10+ years should it not get wrecked.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Josh, I think if your kids are young and you boat on relatively calm water, an open bow in a small boat is a great idea. However if you're the adventurous type that gets into some bigger waves that the Great Lakes might throw at you, I'd stick with a closed bow design. Before children, the admiral and I had a few adventures that brought 6" of green water onto the deck of our 17' Winner Eliminator when we stuffed waves on Georgian Bay and Lake Huron. Had it been an open bow, a bilge pump would not have been adequate. I stole this picture of Lake Erie off the internet, but wouldn't want to ride this one out. - Grandad

Last edited:

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Josh, I think if your kids are young and you boat on relatively calm water, an open bow in a small boat is a great idea. However if you're the adventurous type that gets into some bigger waves that the Great Lakes might throw at you, I'd stick with a closed bow design. Before children, the admiral and I had a few adventures that brought 6" of green water onto the deck of our 17' Winner Eliminator when we stuffed waves on Georgian Bay and Lake Huron. Had it been an open bow, a bilge pump would not have been inadequate. I stole this picture of Lake Erie off the internet, but wouldn't want to ride this one out. - Grandad
I will be on the back smaller lakes with just friends. No kids yet and don't expect them anytime I will own this boat. I am yet to get out of college so that is a ways off for me if ever. I will mostly be out with friends (16-25) and family on this boat. Once per year will I ever have someone under 16 and for those times being able to take more out with me would be a great advantage so it is less trips to shore to pick new ones up.

I did once though on my first trip out take it out in 4' waves on Lake Ontario, that was fun but not something I see myself doing often. I expect the biggest waves I will be out in most years is 2' or less. The only lake around that even gets them that big other than Lake Ontario is Big Rideau Lake. It has a few spots that are 5km of open water but i doubt that would be an issue if I had an open bow. Worst is the bilge pumps might have to run a bit. I am not too worried about that since I do/will have 2 pumps because I am paranoid about one failing (has caused one of my boats to sink before).