1990 Lund Pro V floatation foam water logged or not?

redarndt

Seaman Apprentice
How deep do you have to dig to see if the foam is waterlogged. This picture is taken by the transom on the port side. I dug down about 3". It looks like the top was cut off from the factory after it was overpoured so I thought it would have soaked up a lot of water.

It was dry down 3" or so.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Down to the hull.

Get a 2in PVC pipe and cut saw teeth around 1 end, drill it down to the hull and pull the plug of foam out.

Leave the hole open for 24hrs, see if water collects in the hole.

If the plug is dry and no water collects, put the plug back in

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
IMO, as usual, JBCurt you have it exactly right!

Red, you need to go straight to the bottom of the foam "block" and I would check in several places, both port and starboard sides of the boat. My foam was dry as dry can be on top, and it wasn't until the last 1" I found it to be totally soaked! I removed hundreds of pounds of water logged foam in my boat, hopefully yours is NOT this way, but do yourself a favor and check it thoroughly! ;)

The method that JBCurt mentioned is a great one that will provide great results.

Frey

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Here's a drawing of what that hole saw looks like made from a PVC Pipe...
Make it about 2 ft long and drill a hole in the other end to still a long screw driver in to aid in screwing it down threw the foam till it bottoms out on the hull.
foamsampler-1.jpg

Last edited:

redarndt

Seaman Apprentice
I took some core samples. It was really wet in the bottom third. Most of the top was bone dry though. Thanks for the help.

Man this stuff is a pain to remove. I'll keep chipping away at it. I bet it will take me 10 hours to completely clean the boat out of foam. It's making me think twice about using 2 part expanding foam as the replacement.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep, bottom of the foam is usually significantly different then the top.

10hrs to remove may be on the low side...

Exactly why so many use a different flotation media.

Dont use pool noodles.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Now you see why a LOT of guys use the Blue or Pink slab foam. It Won't hold Water and Since it leaves cracks and crevices it will allow water to flow to the back of the boat and drain out the back.

redarndt

Seaman Apprentice
I was first really interested in using pool noodles to replace the foam. But the more research I did, the less attractive it became.

Blue or pink sheets? Does one work better than the other?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Nope, Basically the same stuff, just different colors. Both are 100% Closed Cell Foam. Won't ever absorb water and have the same flotation properties as the 2lb pour in foam. If you cut it in strips the same Height as your stringers you can easily lay it between the stringers and get a tight, even fit with the added benefit of extra support for your deck.

redarndt

Seaman Apprentice
Nope, Basically the same stuff, just different colors. Both are 100% Closed Cell Foam. Won't ever absorb water and have the same flotation properties as the 2lb pour in foam. If you cut it in strips the same Height as your stringers you can easily lay it between the stringers and get a tight, even fit with the added benefit of extra support for your deck.

So do you precut them or what? Seems like each piece will be a different size/shape