Sea ray 250 fuel tank removal and restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Here's some photos of my 97' searay 250 sundancer tank removal and restoration.

Before all: remove tanks hoses, ground, disconnetc batteries
1st step: remove the plywood cover in the mid cabin.
2nd step: in the engine room: find behind the soundproofing foam the screws holding the midcabin hatch. Remove the screws and the hatch.

Lift and remove tank
030 (Copier).jpg

Here's how looks a 18 y.o. aluminium tank, cleaned and sanded:

062 (Copier).jpg 064 (Copier).jpg 066 (Copier).jpg

The tank berth in the hull:

041 (Copier).jpg 046 (Copier).jpg

Yes, I've got a volvo engine in my sea ray....

Tank restoration:

1- good 40 grit rotative sanding
2- acid etching:
068 (Copier).jpg

3 - epoxy glassing (with special fuel tank epoxy hardener)

072 (Copier).jpg 073 (Copier).jpg

Work done ! Time to re install.

Hope it Helps !

alldodge

Staff member
Some of those pits looked pretty deep, might just have been an illusion, if they were deep sure hope you don't have trouble later.

The finished job looks good

Edit: have the rubber strips needed to reinstall?

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup concur with the pitting. I tried a number of things to salvage mine. After I did still felt uncomfortable putting the tank back in. Took it to a pro who said it was beyond repair and safety. Had to let the tank go.

Actually the aluminium is rather thick. Say 2 or 3 mm. So the general pitting was not a real problem. I glassed it with 1 layer of mat, so it must be a good 2mm glass protection now.
On the front of the tank there was a 2mm hole though (the fuel was leaking in the engine room) due to a misplaced stainless screw that made galvanic corrosion with the aluminium. On this side I put 3 layers of mat.
I think the tank is good to go 20 more years by now.

alldodge

Staff member
The tank should be surrounded by 4 pound foam and the strips are placed to keep the tank away from hard spots. If foam is pour in and gets under the tank it will lift it up to the deck fastened above it.

epoxy glass, hope it works out for ya

jbcurt00

Staff member
The tank should be surrounded by 4 pound foam and the strips are placed to keep the tank away from hard spots. If foam is pour in and gets under the tank it will lift it up to the deck fastened above it.

epoxy glass, hope it works out for ya

That bit about foam isnt accurate for aluminum tanks:
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm

Agree though, glass wrap wouldnt be my 1st choice. Worse for air flow around an aluminum tank then the foam.

How did you fix the thru hole in the tank before glassing

The epoxy I used was for fuel tank repairs (special hardener). I put 3 layers of glass/epoxy on the hole. Quite thick in the end. I glassed the whole tank except the top.

alldodge

Staff member
That bit about foam isnt accurate for aluminum tanks:
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm

Agree though, glass wrap wouldnt be my 1st choice. Worse for air flow around an aluminum tank then the foam.

How did you fix the thru hole in the tank before glassing

True but not 100 percent.

Some manufactures use the foam to stiffen the hull and is made part of the structure.

True part is if the aluminum tank is kept dry, either by foam not getting wet or by (best method) an air gap around the tank, the tank will not corrode.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Dodge, based on his description of getting the tank out by lifting, I doubt it was foamed in originally, and shouldnt be now. Further evident by his pix of the cavity the tank was removed from.

I do understand foam for structure, just not as described to foam the tank in.

alldodge

Staff member
JB, point taken

So the tank was not foamed in and still corroded that bad in 19 years. wow

Steve kohler

Recruit
I know this post is old but can you tell me how you pulled the tank out? Cabin or engine compartment? Getting ready to tackle this job.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I know this post is old but can you tell me how you pulled the tank out? Cabin or engine compartment? Getting ready to tackle this job.

If the OP was still visiting, he might. But he isn't, so he won't. Start a thread of your own.

Closed,

Status
Not open for further replies.