noobie skipper in need of sound advice

Im new to this community and have come across a good sum of money that i want to put towards my uncles boat that has been sitting in his backyard for years now. It's a 1993 capri 2050 and needs much more TLC than i expected. I have simple understanding of how to start off with some of these repairs, specifically the rotten floorboards, but the more i watch DIY vids and read other forum posts the more i'm feeling like im way over my head. I was just hoping someone might know from experience an estimate of how much this will cost me for the floor and possibly stringers as well as difficulty level. Im very mechanically inclined as its my means of living working on aircraft and cars however wood and marine is a new field for me. Thank you for reading and have a great day!

Attachments

• IMG_5637.JPG
    IMG_5637.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5630.JPG
    IMG_5630.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5634.JPG
    IMG_5634.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5626.JPG
    IMG_5626.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5635.JPG
    IMG_5635.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to iboats.

Is Unc giving you his old boat? What does the rest of her look like? Does the motor run and what brand? How is the trailer?

How much depends on the size of your bankroll and budget. It's hard to look at 6 close in photos and make any intelligent determination. Have you thought about buying a boat in better shape or is there sentimental value?

Are these mushrooms or fungus?

mushies.PNG

Mark72233

Ensign
lowlifeskipper, welcome to iboats and drydock. It sounds like you have started doing your research and yes restoring a boat is a big, time and money commitment. My experience is just that, mine and should not be used as anything other than my experiences on my boat restoration project. My boat is a 1972 Thunderbird Formula 233, 23 foot with twin Mercruiser I/Os that was sitting unused and uncovered in the Florida Panhandle weather for 12+ years. It has needed everything fixed or replaced and after 18 months of working on it almost everyday and weekend I am still a few months from getting it splashed. When I am done I will have almost $18,000 invested into this boat which includes some of the electronics, trailer and 2 rebuilt engines. I will never be able to recoop my $$ and certainly not my labor but I intend to keep this boat for life and pass it onto to my kids so it was never about trying to make a buck, it was about bringing back memories of me and my dad and fishing and diving in the Gulf of Mexico so it has been worth every dollar and minute I have and will spend on my boat. It is my fathers legacy brought back to life and my kids know this was Papa's boat. Anyway that is my rant. By the looks of your pics you have a full restoration ahead of you if you want to keep that boat and get it back to where it will be safe and enjoyable to use. I hope that answered some of your questions and you can check out my restoration as well. I have listed a lot of the items I have had to purchase and how much they were. Whatever you decide good luck.

Mark

tpenfield

Staff member
If the sum of money is large enough, you may be able to buy something a little more ' turn-key'

Plan on about $3-4K to restore this boat.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lowlifeskipper, the guys have given you very sound advise. The only thing I would add are A) Do you absolutely love this boat? ie, can you/do you dream about yourself driving or owning this boat? the styling, the features? B) Are you ready to commit to the repairs, and restoration no mater what you find or how long it takes?

If you can look yourself in the mirror and say yes, then you probably have a contender for restoration and you are absolutely in the correct place for advise, friendly poking and prodding on anything you will come across during the build.

If you are hesitant, I would advise against...I would hate for you to start dumping money time and sweat into something that you feel marginally about, and then give up on it. Thus wasting your blood, sweat and $$$$$.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This^^^ is a Must for a restoration!! One other thing of note. a 1993 20ft Bayliner is NOT that much of a Quality boat. I'd really take Corjen's advice to heart!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you got the boat for free and you are emotionally attached, then we will help you restore it.

If you got the boat for free, and you have no attachment, then strip it down, sell what you can, junk the hull, sell the trailer and add to your boat fund.

Take the advice of everyone. A budget restoration where you can do everything (including sewing your own interior parts) will cost you $2500 to $3000.
My guess it will cost $3500-$4500 to bring that boat back.

My suggestion would be spend the money on a garage kept boat that is ready to go for $4k

hey all, thanks for the fast and detailed replies.

First off, yes those are mushrooms. He has just had it sitting in his backyard for 6 years barely covered and it would just get soaked through all the storms. Theres even grass growing in the corner of seams and carpet liner.

The boat has a v6 mercruiser (i believe the 4.3) and my first goal was to check that the engine runs after a proper tuning(changing out fluids and such). If it doesn't run then i throw my hands up and quit but if it does i dig deeper into possibly taking on this job.

I have a decent budget capped at 4k and there is no sentimental value to it but as i look on craigslist i cant seem to find a boat id enjoy owning for the same price and i kind of like the idea of completing such a project.

ill still keep my eye out for some boats, i might be able to cough up an extra 1k if it looks well worth it.

For now though, I'm going to try and see if this motor runs in the next week or two.

Thanks again everyone!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I highly suggest you read the following two stickies

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...nature-deck-and-stringer-restoration?t=510077

which is #14 in this all important bucket of information

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...r/295740-how-to-s-and-other-great-information

to restore that boat, estimate a bit over a year of weekends and at elast 2 nights per week.

you will need to do the following:
remove outdrive and motor, along with its controls and the wiring
build a cradle for the hull
put bot onto cradle
gut the interior
remove the cap
cut out the floor
cut out all the stringers, bulkheads, and transom
grind for days on the inside of the hull
build new transom, bed in and tab as required
build new stringers, bed in stringers, tab as required
build new floor, bed in floor, tab in as required
pour in new floatation foam
glass over everything
gelcoat the interior
glue in carpet
repair the cap
replace the cap
replace the rub rail
buff and polish exterior (re-gel coat if needed)
build new interior

to add to the list above, motor work, drive work, etc.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Several hundred hours of work (at least) and several thousand dollars of materials (at least), and you'll still have a '93 Bayliner, and not a terribly overpowered one at that. If the engine runs and you're willing to do the work -- it sounds like you're pretty handy -- it might be a fun project and you'd learn a ton about your boat. When I've looked at boats (both when I was buying and last year when helping a friend find a boat), neglected Bayliners were common and many of them looked like the boat in your pictures. Total gut and rebuild project. If the engine and outdrive aren't good, I wouldn't even consider it.

Could you find something for a similar cash investment that doesn't need work (or not as much)? Depends a lot on where you live. In my neck of the woods, you'd be hard pressed to find a turnkey boat in that size for $3000-5000. In other places with a more active market, that might be less of a challenge. We don't know where you are, so it's hard to know if your market is any better.

If you're going to invest the time and money to rehab a boat, you might want to start with something that will be a bit nicer (and have better resale value) when you're done...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Asked about the mushrooms because with fungi growing in the open area, I wouldn't want to see what the underdeck looks like with the perfect growing conditions beneath. Mushies feed on decay - Like damp, rotting wood. Not a good sign, lowlife. On the plus side - Oops, there is no plus side except adding to the bottom line.

Good idea to see if you can get the motor running. Selling a running motor and working outdrive can add to your boat fund.

What part of the world are you located. If the motor runs and you live in a cold place, make sure you do the water draining part of winterizing. You don't want to crack the motor with ice after getting her running. In fact, drain the water after every starting attempt, whether she runs or not. Draining takes maybe 30 minutes the first time and if you do it enough and know all the drain/hose locations, 10 minutes.

Adding one more motor draining thought - Pull lower end off the large hose from the water pump up to the thermostat housing. If water or ice comes out and you live in a freezing clime, hope goes down and budget goes up. A lot can happen in 6 years.

Is the trailer decent? One more source of boat fund $$$.

Good luck on whatever you find. We'll keep the light on. :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If the motor checks out and you decide to do a full blown restoration of the boat here's my 2??? worth and some questions.

Your 4K budget will not be enough.
Do you have a covered workspace?
Do you have the Stick-to-itivness to see a 220+ hours project to the finish?
Do you Plan to replace the Interior? If so will you do the work or hire it done?
Have you ever done any fiberglass work in the past? Woodworking?
Do you enjoy Itching?

As Corjen stated If you like the looks and styling of this boat, Once you're done with this restoration, with the help all the members on the forum will give you and your hard work, will produce a boat that will be better than the one that Bayliner produced from the factory in 1993 and with good care and maintenance will last your life time.

Keep us posted on what you find. I'm in total agreement with the others. She's gunna need to be gutted and totally rebuilt.:nod:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Before doing much of anything else, post some pictures from outside the boat where we all can see the entire boat in one picture. Also post more pictures from different angles and of the trailer as well. That way we can see other possible issues if there are any as well. JMHO!