Steering

rnixon82602

Recruit
Hi, new to iboats. I bought a 1956 Chris Craft Barracuda and I need to move my steering wheel from left to right. Not quite sure how to do that. Do I need new cables? Thanks

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
:welcome: to iboats Mixon!

1. What type of steering are you working with?

2. Are you talking about moving it completely to the other side of the boat? If so pure curiosity makes me ask why?

Above all just because we like pics round here if you can post some pics of what you're working with you'll likely get batter answers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

agreed, why would you want to move from Port Side steering to Starboard side?

rnixon82602

Recruit
Well, being cheap..........I mean working with a limited budget.....I bought an '85 Johnson 40hp with controls and cables. The controls are designed for the right (starboard) side and the old boat has the steering wheel on the left (port) side. So I figured I'd move the steering wheel. What do you think? Thanksalot.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Motor don't care which side the cables come from. :D

Don't take this the wrong way but I'd hate to see an old CC butchered because you're cheap, so I'm sure the collective here can work you through a good compromise of rigging you motor.

That said let me rephrase my first question from above - What does the boat have for steering now? What type of helm?

And I'll repost this because it truly helps to SEE what you're working with.

Me from above said:
Above all just because we like pics round here if you can post some pics of what you're working with you'll likely get batter answers.

I'm no motor expert but I believe it's fairly simple to flip the cable steering to come from either side. The control box I'm not as certain about but I think it's possible. The control box issue may be better asked in the Johnnyrude engine forum. Another option would be to sell off the box you have now and go with an aftermarket control box.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
it would be cheaper and easier to simply flip the box around and mount the handle the other way. (they are designed for that)

the old Chris Craft has cable steering. depending on the motor you have, you may need to fabricate a bracket to attach to the cable steer.

rnixon82602

Recruit
Truck Driver.....I appreciate that......I'm cheap........but not THAT cheap....and I've been working with wood for 30 years. I love the old Chrissy too. I'll figure it out.

rnixon82602

Recruit
I didn't realize that I could switch the control box. I'll take a closer look today. I'd much rather do that than move the steering wheel.
Thanks alot.

rnixon82602

Recruit
Thank you all for the excellent advise. I'll be looking at the boat this weekend especially the steering. The steering wheel is mounted on the bottom of the dash so it should be easy enough to move. The controls I bought have key ignition start located in the end of the box so I'm not sure that it could be mounted on the port side.
Thanks again everyone. I'll keep you posted and I'll add pics when I figure out my "new" computer.