Old top for new pontoon?

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1" aluminium square tube top, it's 7.5' x 10' and is just the top aluminium tubes. I plan on having it 6' tall supported with 1" square tubing but I will have 4 supports on each side and I plan on drilling galvanised steel roof panels on top which will keep it light weight around 35lbs (light weight is important to me since I have a minivan). I plan on using u-bolts for the bottom support so I should be good and solid at the bottom but I'm having trouble figuring out how to support the existing top to the new 1" tubing, I would like to use brackets if possible, I would think drilling a hole and using a bolt might weaken the 1" tube. I plan on driving the pontoon occasional on the highway so I'm concerned it might fly off, I plan on using additional straps when I'm on the highway.

Along one side of the pontoon the new 1" tubes will have to be under the old tube of the top and on the other side the pontoon the new 1" tubes will come up next to the old tube (side by side). I found some brackets pics on-line but I would like them in aluminium if possible but I'll take steel if anyone know who sells them.

Attachments

• photo237077.jpg
    photo237077.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237078.jpg
    photo237078.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237080.jpg
    photo237080.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237081.jpg
    photo237081.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Canvas would be lighter. Do not forget the wind load, especially when towing. I would recommend a collapsible bimini myself in a towed pontoon

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I really want a hard top so I can have an enclosure like the picture attached, that way I can have it stored with a cover and use it for camping on the lake also. I mostly will have a 5 mile trip to the launch on side roads and when I do use it on the highway I would throw straps over the top and attach them to the trailer so I pretty sure it will be okay. Just can't find the correct way to attach the top.

Attachments

• photo237089.jpg
    photo237089.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0