gel coat repair questions

jstan1984

Cadet
i am wanting to put a clear gel coat on my boat. Is it possible to use a brush? I have no place to spray it so thats not an option. if i brush i will have to do in small batches so it doesnt start setting up. by starting and stopping will i be able to tell start and stop lines in the finished product? I want it to look nice not necessarily perfect since i am not a professional. also, do i need to have the surface smooth or a little rough before applying gel coat? thanks in advance to everyone here that can help me

jstan1984

Cadet
it is a 89 bass tracker tournament tf 18ft since it is a bass boat i really just need to do the gunnel. it has metal flake but the clear has come off and peeling in places when i wet sand and polish it looks good but doesnt last before it looks dull again so i would like to keep the wet look permanently.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Pix?

Are you positive whats peeling is the old clearcoat gel and not paint?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I seriously doubt you'd be happy with brushing clear gelcoat. It's a LOT different than paint.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Gel coat doesn't typically peel off, so if it is peeling, it normally means someone before you has used a clear paint to try and rejuvenate the surface and make he flake look better. All of this paint would need to be removed.

Gel coat doesn't level and flow like paint, the surface would need to be sanded completely and buffed for it look good. Can it be brushed, well, yes, but you will end up with even more of a textured surface, which means more sanding.

Aging metal flake can be tough to deal with, clear coating with paint works for a while, but if the surface isn't prepped correctly peeling is common. If you sand into the flake layer the finished product may look blotchy and uneven. Redoing the metal flake can be done, but can be tough for a rookie (even professionals) and is very time consuming.

jstan1984

Cadet
i really just want it to look decent and have protection from sun damage what are my other options? is a foam brush a better solution for the gel coat as far as less texture? I like gel coat because of the depth of protection anything comparable? I am willing to do extra sanding but i will also listen to experience and reason from you knowledgeable folks. thanks all

jbcurt00

Staff member
Lets start w some pix and confirm its gelcoat peeling and not a clear of something else.

Acetone on a rag, left on clear will probably wrinkle clear that isnt gelcoat. If it doesn't peel, then it could be gelcoat. I dont think acetone will wrinkle 2stage, catalyzed paint but it might