New to me 1972 glastron v156!

Jhopper

Cadet
I've just purchased a 72 v156 with a 65 horse mercury outboard. The engine runs just doesn't like to cold start. The boat was badly neglected but the last owners. However the floor still feels solid and everything still seems to operate appropriately. So this project will mainly consist of refinishing the gel coat adding a stereo system. Re covering the front bench seats and adding a rear bench seat. So any tips will be greatly appreciated. Also the cold start issue. If its sprayed with fuel it will start. Then gives no trouble all day. I'm thinking it's the carb gasket. photo 1.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 2.JPG

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'd get an estimate of what the boat is supposed to weigh and then weigh the boat.

Neglected and filled w leaves suggests its been sitting outside for a while, solid feeling deck (floor) or not, it may have gotten quite a bit of rain in it too. And that can lead to additional problems, not immediately apparent.

Start a topic about the Merc in the Merc outboard forum if you need help sorting it out.

Good luck w your project and welcome to iboats

Jhopper

Cadet
Its only been out in the open less than six months. Its a long story on what it went through. What would weighing it tell me? This is my first boat. I have no idea. Lol

Tnstratofam

Commander
If you know the dry weight of the hull minus gear and your boat weighs hundreds of pounds more ( Taking the motor weight into consideration. ), you could have water below the deck. This could saturate the flotation foam which would make the boat perform poorly, and make it unsafe to operate.

Water below deck can also quickly start the rot process which will destroy the stringers ( They support the deck, and add structural rigidity to the hull. ), and destroy the transom ( This is where your motor hangs, and gives it it's support.) Unfortunately rot below deck can be difficult to find. The deck can seem solid, and the transom can seem to support the motor fine when in actuality you have major problems going on down deep.

A 43 year old boat unless stored in the dry year round, and well cared for all its life will likely have rot and or structural issues that will need addressed before it can be considered safe to operate.

Given the pictures you posted above a thourough investigation into the stringers and transom would be a good idea as a start. If you take core samples and find the wood to be dry and golden then you can look at the cosmetics. If the core samples show wet and dark wood then she may need a full restoration.

Go through some of the restoration threads and you will quickly see boats rot from the bottom up, and from the inside out. Fortunately there are plenty of people here who have tackled projects like yours, and lots of knowledgeable people here willing to help you get her back on the water.

Start with cleaning up the inside, and start looking for cracked or damaged fiberglass. Then post up some pics. Then you can decide on the next course of action.

Jhopper

Cadet
Well it seems the decking is saturated near the stern but dry up toward the bow. So I'll be pulling it all up here soon to replace it. What should I look for after pulling up the decking

thomas15

Seaman Apprentice
A question for the forum.

I have been lurking this forum for at least 2 years and I've read and keep up with many of the threads here. In the back of my mind I would like to do a resto, not going to start one today or next week but in the future. I look around and try to imagine what would be a good candidate for me both in time and end result.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but one possible candidate that I have thought about is almost this same boat, early 70s Glastron tri-hull. I the one I'm looking at has an early 70 ish Johnson or Evinrude 75 outboard and trailer. In my mind it's a total gut and rebuild as there is not doubt in my mind that anything under the deck is a gonner. I don't see this as a bad thing as I know going in that it's all coming out. I would not even consider this if it were not for getting it for next to free.

So the 64 thousand dollar question is assuming that the motor can be made to run, is this boat a good candidate under the conditions I describe? I know these things are subjective. The boat looks like it was well built but again a lot of work. Not trying to hijack but I think the OP might be facing the same question I'm asking.

jbcurt00

Staff member
It is a hijack, because you're asking questions about 'your' boat that you dont own yet.

Jhopper owns this boat. And has already commited to taking up the deck in his boat.

FYI: if you read thru some resto topics it should be clear that given time, effort and money most can be rebuilt.