Gluing plastics

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Found this. Maybe it will help. http://www.igloocoolers.com/FAQs#q4
What materials is my cooler made of?
Hard-side coolers: The exterior body of most Igloo hard-side coolers is made of high-density polyethylene, while the interior liner is made of FDA-grade polypropylene. The insulation is made of Ultratherm™ - a proprietary blend of polyurethane foam.
Soft-side coolers: Igloo soft-side cooler exteriors vary by style and model year and are made from a variety of durable materials and blends, including polypropylene, polyethylene, nylon, polyester, thermoplastic olefin (TPO) and PEVA (polyethylene + ethylene vinyl acetate). Older models may contain polyvinylchloride (PVC). The inside liners of Igloo soft coolers are made of FDA food contact safe PEVA, although older versions may have inner liners constructed from PVC. The insulation in Igloo soft coolers consists of polyurethane, polyethylene or a blend of the two.

Igloo Earth Series™ coolers: The bodies of these coolers are made of reclaimed plastic retrieved from our industrial manufacturing processes. The interior liners are still made with FDA-quality polypropylene and they are insulated with proprietary Ultratherm™ polyurethane foam.

WOW DrS4164, that is what I actually asked them. And funny I was actually on that exact website and never thought about checking the FAQ section. :stupid:

Some days I make myself wonder. :crazy:

Thanks so much DRS4164. :thumb:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Glad to be of some help. Now find the right glue and fix it. Hopefully, it will turn out good and save you some $ on a new cooler.
Dave

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
3M scotch weld. That's EXACTLY what it was designed for. Plastic and rubber adhesion. If you ever need to bond the swivel shaft seal in the transom this is what you use.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Interesting, I did get an email back from Igloo and this is exactly what it stated about what plastics were used in their Igloo cooler;

"Damage to the outside of the cooler can be repaired using a fiberglass kit.
Damage to the inside liner can be repaired using a non toxic 2 part empoxy glue."

I am assuming she meant epoxy instead of empoxy. So before I do much of anything else, I am going to mix up some epoxy and see how well it sticks. I think I already know that answer though. :noidea:

I'll post results. But I think we all now that results already.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Heat treating will help with the epoxy bond. Picking the correct epoxy can make a big difference, rigid epoxies won't work as well as a more flexible type. Epoxies designed for bonding to low energy surfaces (the type coolers are made from) are a bit more flexible and resilient, so look for one that says its formulated for what you want to do.