Interior Woodwork Restoration

naidni45

Recruit
I need to begin planning the interior restoration of my 26' Tolleycraft. The diesel smell from the cook-range seems to be soaked into the interior floor. As well every wood panel and part is faded and rough looking.
My question is: would I be better to remove every part and refinish it out of the boat or complete the refinishing in-place?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: naidni45 to iboats. Nice to have you join us...

If you already have odors from diesel, I would remove things to refinish or you will be trapping more odors from the finish as well. Removing parts will allow the odors to dissipate some and you can usually do a better easier job out of the hull. JMHO. Post some pictures, we love pictures on here. :thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The smell is probably permeating any fabric and upholstery as well. Re-doing the wood may just be the start.

Ditto on the photo request so we can see what you are dealing with.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Remove for refinish means you'll also be inspecting what's behind.

The extra inspection may be a very good idea...

find where the fuel is leaking because you really shouldn't have fuel smell in the passenger places.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Pics for sure. I'd also think you'd for sure want to remove any and all appliances to be able to inspect the surrounding area to ensure that they were not saturated with any flammable substances. If they are then they absolutely need to be removed and replaced. BIG Fire Hazard!!!!

Ned L

Commander
I agree with what WOG says, Except, in this regard, diesel is quite different than gasoline. it is amazing how little diesel fuel it takes to smell up the whole boat for a LONG time. Also, diesel fumes are not explosive the way gasoline fumes are. Of coarse, if something is saturated with diesel fuel it will be more flammable.

64osby

Admiral
Diesel is not flammable unless it is under pressure. Yes it stinks.

If diesel has impregnated the wood it would have to be encapsulated or replaced to eliminate the smell.

Replacement is the better option.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Diesel is not flammable unless it is under pressure. Yes it stinks.

If diesel has impregnated the wood it would have to be encapsulated or replaced to eliminate the smell.

Replacement is the better option.
That's a bit misleading.

If wood is saturated with diesel fuel, it will ignite with an open flame.

If you pour diesel on the driveway and throw a match on it... it will not ignite.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
^^^ WOG - Yes I agree.

I would doubt that the wood is saturated. If there is enough diesel in the wood to make it flammable then is should definitely be replaced.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I guess the real question that I haven't seen asked or answered is, how did the diesel smell get to the interior in the first place? Is there a tank located there or what? :noidea:

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's a bit misleading.

If wood is saturated with diesel fuel, it will ignite with an open flame.

If you pour diesel on the driveway and throw a match on it... it will not ignite.

Actually, that's a bit misleading... The match will become a wick. The vaporized diesel absorbed through capillary action will ignite and burn. Sorry Wood, I couldn't resist.:D

Naidni45, would really like to see pics of your Tolleycraft.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Actually, that's a bit misleading... The match will become a wick. The vaporized diesel absorbed through capillary action will ignite and burn. Sorry Wood, I couldn't resist.:D

Naidni45, would really like to see pics of your Tolleycraft.

Now THIS ^^^ is TRUTH!!!!!:eek::nod:

Ned L

Commander
I guess the real question that I haven't seen asked or answered is, how did the diesel smell get to the interior in the first place? Is there a tank located there or what? :noidea:

Diesel fuel is pretty amazing stuff for how the smell can permeate. It only takes something like a normal fuel filter change with a couple of drops spilled to leave the interior of a boat smelling like diesel fuel for days.
the OP said he has a diesel stove on board, It is not unusual for the supply line to the stove to weep at the fittings (some sort of flexible line is required if the stove is gimbaled ).