Sewing machines Singer #31-15 comments

Ned L

Commander
I didn't want to cause a drift on the other thread about sewing machines, so I'll here. Does anyone have thoughts on a Singer #31-15 ?............... Maybe WOG or someone???? :D

00808_6lzcOW6oggF_600x450.jpg

00u0u_bXc8W005K1z_600x450.jpg

I just found this for sale in my area. it looks like it should go through just about anything.

I would be looking to sew side curtains, bunk cushion covers, etc.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It was made for lighter fabrics. Would it go through Sunbrella? Maybe. Does it work? Looks like a lot of rust.

Go to upholster.com and ask about it.

Ned L

Commander
Thank you. --- Yep, I was just doing some looking and it appears this model is described as a 'commercial tailors machine, for light weight fabrics". Oh well, I'll be passing on that. Didn't really want something that takes up so much space anyway. At a glance it looks like it should go through anything, ... apparently not.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its the model machine that WOG said would be up for the task. That does look like it hasnt seen use in a long time. Doesnt mean it wont work, but will need some cleanup for sure.

EDIT: seems singer 15-31 amd 31-15 are both recognized as the same industrial model

Last edited:

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
I think you could expect similar performance from most of the 1970 and earlier all metal machines-- Including the smaller ones which often can in a wooden cabinet.and now sell pretty cheap.

Depending on what you looking for-- Any serious industrial type machine for boat canvas & upholstery would need to have a built in walking foot as a minimum requirement.

Good luck in your search

jbcurt00

Staff member
Google and several others seem to disagree

May be inaccurate, but based on the typical model 15 desigantions of 15-30 or 15-75 et al, it seems a common 'mistake' to call the industrial Singer a 15-31.

The results for either find a slightly different list of hits, so by searching for both, you get a larger pool of info.

They're vs their

Both are used incorrectly sometimes but some of us still get the intent.

I dont need to be right, but 15-31 does come up if you want to see a youtube video. Watch it if you want.

A rose by any other name...

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
I think you could expect similar performance from most of the 1970 and earlier all metal machines-- Including the smaller ones which often can in a wooden cabinet.and now sell pretty cheap.

Depending on what you looking for-- Any serious industrial type machine for boat canvas & upholstery would need to have a built in walking foot as a minimum requirement.

Good luck in your search

​While the above does have some merit and I would say ideally, that should be a preference...I wouldn't go so far to say it "needs" it? Bruce has a nice Walking foot model (Consew if I remember?). I have an industrial Juki that worked absolutely fine when sewing not only covers, but a vinyl as well. Bruce will also tell you that the biggest reason to go industrial is needle sizes, the bigger the better, to a point (which equates to bigger thread which is less likely to pull through the vinyl over repeated use).

If it were me, I'd take my time and find an industrial, walking foot machine for all the reasons, power, agility, speed, size and durability! The good news is if you buy used, you could turn and sell it when the project is complete for probably the same amount you paid for it? My bet would be if you buy an industrial machine, you'll see how awesome, and manly, sewing can be and want to keep it for other projects!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I have a 31-15 ..no reverse but it does sew ..
This was my first attempt at some pleats with it .. Just playing around with it ..

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
These are the only actual seat covers I have made with it .. For 80 bucks it works ok ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Had to pull this pic up from the girls Ouchita thread ... I didn't have any on my P/B ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Bruce ! The 31-15 will do the job if your on a budget... But I'm like everyone else . Still keeping an eye out for a deal on a w/f ..

Ned L

Commander
Wow,...you guys are doing some nice work! I don't know that I'd be up to anything so complicated.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
While a "industrial walking foot" would be nice to have, and eventually I will have one, (mostly for tuck n roll/pleating and covers) I dont think I would say its a absolute must. I have done my entire boat and many projects for customers with the the so called "home" sewing machines and they have never let me or my customers down

1953 Morse 4300 zig zag...

1948 Singer 15-91....

Examples:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Nice thing about doing vinyl is that you can use a lot less heavy sewing machine for it. Doing boat covers is a lot harder on them.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Nice thing about doing vinyl is that you can use a lot less heavy sewing machine for it. Doing boat covers is a lot harder on them.
Why do you think the Subrella is harder on the machine that vinyl?? Ned, I'm absolutely positive that the Singer Model 15-91 will be able to handle all of your sewing needs for you boat upholstery.

Last edited: