Monterey 225 SCR Full Restore, Repair and Customization

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As an update The boat is insanely quiet except for the exhaust. Cannot hear the water at all. It handles like it's a roller coaster BUT it has a power issue. I'm putting in a 72GPH free flow carter electric in to replace the mechanical and I am not doing a 383 this year due to my new house wiping out my funds. I do have a brand new set of built 202 marine vortec heads with AL roller rockers though and I'll add on an edelbrock aluminum marine vortec intake mani as well as the HGE aluminum exhaust manifolds this year. That should give me 600-700rpms and put me back at 4600-4700. Even though the engine is pretty much new I suspect either the valves are leaking or it has beat rings. I still have not done compression/leak down on it.

It has a bigger cam in it than any OEM 5.7 cam I've heard and I have no clue what it is. I'm wondering if it's a car cam and that would explain my lack of power.

Last edited:

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

New Carter 72GPH high flow marine electric pump in. WAY better that mechanical(until it fails). I'll see if this solves any of the power issues. The heads are going to wait but the 1.6 aluminum RRs will go in the same time I do the exhaust.

Attachments

• photo251127.jpg
    photo251127.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 1

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Engine cold, all plugs out compression

1: 180
3: 175
5: 170
7: 180
2: 185
4: 185
6: 180
8: 180

I have EMI Thunder exhaust going on along with an edelbrock intake and 1.6 roller rockers. Thermostat housing is junk so the newer SS style will take it's place. Pics to come.

I stood on our beatup "for reference" scale with everything and came up with a 63lb weight savings. Thought it would be more.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Those are respectable compression numbers. In my experience automotive or marine cams dont change much in performance. In a marine application you have to make big power gains to see small mph gains. I have gained more rpm and mph buffing the hull than swapping a cam.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Those are respectable compression numbers. In my experience automotive or marine cams dont change much in performance. In a marine application you have to make big power gains to see small mph gains. I have gained more rpm and mph buffing the hull than swapping a cam.

We took a marine BBC cam and put it in a chevy powered Ford 100(don't ask) up the boat yard and all it would do is boil the rears until 3k then fall flat on its face. it had a low stall. COULD be the trans but I'll never know. I was always told it would be hard to dock a boat with a street cam in a marine motor.

I'm only doing mods I can transfer over to a 383 when the time comes. I'm out of racing for now and this is by no means a fast hull with a 24 degree rise. I just want 4600 with 4 to 6 people on board.

Last edited:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Must have been a diffrent issue . Stuck a BBC out of a Mach1 boat into a Nova . Shifted at 5500 ran the 1/8 high 7 low 8s . Pulled hard to shift point. Car did have 3.73 gears though. The marine carb, dist, and exhaust was swapped for the headers, holley and malory units used with the old mill. Biggest diffrence with automotive cam is the overlap. To much will suck water out of the exhaust into the cylinders.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Reversion. We have a triple 800SCI nortec right now with a vented engine and #6s. We have the engines out and the headers run dry to the transom because of the cam. I'll include a pic for drool :)

Rockers and intake are on although I forgot a pic of the intake. Found out it's a roller motor. I'll take it!

Attachments

• photo257104.jpg
    photo257104.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo257105.jpg
    photo257105.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo257106.jpg
    photo257106.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 1

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Well my captains call doesn't line up with the new performance manifolds and risers. I'm sick of dealing with sticking rams anyway so I'm pulling it out. Used 3" rubber pipe caps from Lowes, stuck them in the toaster oven at 200 for 10 minutes and capped the Y-pipe with them and will cap the lower exhaust port as well. Had some Shields wireless exhaust host some I'm straight piping it.

Also the EMI manifold to riser jump fittings nowhere near line up so I had to get some very flexible heater hose. I'll add more pics when the rest is done before I move on to rebuilding the entire rear seat.

Attachments

• photo257420.jpg
    photo257420.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the old intake mani gaskets were leaking and the timing was off 10 degrees(+2) due to the wiring harness hitting the distributor. With the new exhaust, intake and gaskets the boat fires withing two seconds without touching the throttle, runs 10 degrees cooler(on the trailer) and I gained +500rpms which I adjusted back from the card.

That explains a LOT. Lake testing tomorrow I bet I get at least 50mph now.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Nice! I hope you get the results you're looking for.

Thanks! I did. I have a small gas leak on the suction side of the pump so I called it quits early and there's more tuning in it. I bet I can get 55 without switching to vortec heads. I'm confident of 60mph with vortec heads and maybe a bigger carb. This was me only with a full tank.

2ft chop, 10mph head wind, 77 degrees.

Attachments

• photo257775.png
    photo257775.png
    179 KB · Views: 1

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
... So I left the vacuum port behind the carb in the intake open.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I don't like vacuum ports. Gave me issues on a car once.

Any change in performance?

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There will be once I plug it, fix the gas leak and tune the carb lol. I was looking at a baja 24 something islander with a 496 but we pulled the engine and the mounting bolts came up wet. I don't want to deal with that crap again. Plus a rod went through the block so the boat is pretty much a hull with a bravo one

Pusher

Lieutenant
Yeah, at some point the pleasure of being out on the water for the summer outweighs the thought of having the next thing right away.

I was looking at a 18' hard top fishing boat on CL last night and had the same "wait a minute" moment :)

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm never done tinkering. That's my problem. I'll be rebuilding the entire rear seating section with nidacore now.

There was a nice 2006 Formula 26BR for $20k on CL. I contacted the person and he said "The boat isn't local so for a $1,000 deposit I'll bring it down so you can look at it". The ad has been removed. I knew it was too good.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Rear seat being rebuilt with nidacore. It will also now be two pieces for easy removal and include an integrated step in and a cubby hole below the step for shoes

Attachments

• photo258889.jpg
    photo258889.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo258890.jpg
    photo258890.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 1