progress done so far on my 1967 sears runabout boat

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
quick question what is bondo glass and bondo hair
products
thanks
cr
They are the Store bought versions of Peanut Butter. They Cost more than what it would cost if you make your own. Bondo Glass is Resin with cabosil and 1/4" Chopped Stand fibers and Bondo Hair is Resin with Cabosil and 1" CSM fibers. Both have the consistency of Creamy Peanut Butter. Used for filling gaps and gouges.

rileychad

Petty Officer 3rd Class
is there anything to help remove paint from the fiberglass other than a grinder
thanks
cr

jbcurt00

Staff member
Paint? Where?

Do you mean the gelcoat that was the original finish?

rileychad

Petty Officer 3rd Class
yea the original gel coat
when I was trying to take out the original transom I accidently tore a spot in the back a there are a few hole that I want to go over so I figured I would just go over the whole back

rileychad

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was using a wire cup brush on a grinder but it was leaving it really rough and took a while to do just the little area that I did
thanks
cr

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
We really need to see some Pics. Since it's fiberglass it can be fixed but pics will really help us to guide you to the best way to do it. Pleasd don't use the wire cup any more. 40 grit sand paper and a Random Orbit sander works pretty darn good!!!!;) You don't have remove all the old gelcoat. You only have to scuff it with 40-60 grit and then wash it down with acetone and then you can roll on 3-4 more fresh coats of new.

Last edited: