Big wooden boat project [Splashed Sept 2017]

Ned L

Commander
Sorry to say there were no projects on the boat last week. This past weekend was the annual "Antique Marine Engine Show" at Mystic Seaport. The engine show is open to marine engines older than 1964, as well as all steam engines. ............ Given the engines in the boat are 1957, I signed her up as an entry (along with a couple of other engines I took down

I started Thursday night by loading up the truck with the 5 HP Acadia make and break and the 1923 Universal C1.

enhance

I took off Friday at lunch time, and first drove to the seaport to drop them off. It was a pretty gray drizzly day (but was expected to improve).
enhance

I loaded some stuff on the boat and headed off toward Mystic

enhance

enhance

This sand spit is normally covered with boats and people this time of year. I was all by myself that day.

enhance

(Sorry for the crappy pictures, don't know what happened to the cell phone........)

We were pretty much alone out on Fishers Island Sound that afternoon.
enhance

As you go up the Mystic River you need the Amtrak RxR bridge to open for you.

enhance

enhance

enhance

And then the Mystic Town bridge has to open (Same "Mystic" as made famous in the movie "Mystic Pizza" )
enhance

enhance

Friday night I got settled in for the night

enhance

Then Saturday morning shifted the boat to where I was directed, which turned out to be right in front of the main entrance to the seaport.

enhance

enhance

I was in the company of some pretty traditional boats (Roann, an eastern rigged dragger, and L.A. Dunton, a genuine fishing schooner).

enhance

enhance

I also had a neighbor from a little different time and place

enhance

There is always a pretty interesting selection of antique engines on display

enhance

enhance

And a good number of antique outboards.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Some pretty good size engines as well. This "Atlas" Diesel is a west coast engine.

enhance

This Wolverine diesel engine was built in Bridgeport CT in the 1920's. (Oops,... the Wolverine is actually the video at the bottom.)
enhance

Saturday evening there was a pizza party for the exhibitors. A friendly bunch of people.

enhance

Here are a few pictures that I took of the Seaport about 40 years ago. A different view from up there!

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

it is pretty interesting spending the night actually inside the seaport, locked inside a museum all night.

enhance

This is "Sabino" a steam powered excursion boat that takes people out for tours on the river. She was just completely rebuilt and restored, including a brand new boiler.

enhance

I had this guy visiting next to my boat for a while. It was interesting to watch him just standing there and periodically he would just snap down and grab a bait fish for a snack

enhance

Sunday afternoon it was time to head back home.

enhance

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We'll forgive the break in project work, Ned. That's as good as an old tractor show, no better - It was on the water. :D

Some of the steamers look like mechanical nightmares.

How did this paddle wheeler work? LOL
paddlrwheeld.PNG

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Looks like you had a good time! Just wondering, do you visit the website called smokestack.com? I do, it's all about antique engines, I'm guessing you do. I have an old saltblock that I need to re do when I get the boats done!

Ned L

Commander
M/Y Endeavour is a Westport 112. we make the gangway, aft garage crane and other equipment for Westport.

Cool!!! That's impressive. I will have to admit she's not particularly my 'style', but I can certainly appreciate her.

Ned L

Commander
We'll forgive the break in project work, Ned. That's as good as an old tractor show, no better - It was on the water. :D

Some of the steamers look like mechanical nightmares.

How did this paddle wheeler work? LOL

Yep, I enjoy old tractors and stationary engines too, but yes, this is on the water. Some of those miniature steam engines are amazing works.

I didn't see those wheels put in use, I'd be a bit curios to see them deployed and watch the thing crawl up a beach. (I've seen some videos and my thoughts are usually along the lines of 'do you need someone to tie your shoes for you too?'.

Ned L

Commander
Looks like you had a good time! Just wondering, do you visit the website called smokestack.com? I do, it's all about antique engines, I'm guessing you do. I have an old saltblock that I need to re do when I get the boats done!

It was a real nice weekend, thanks.
Oh yes, I am very familiar with 'Smokstak'. I don't spend much time there anymore. These days I spend more time here and on a couple of other boating and marine engine sites.
Likewise, I have a Stover CT2 and a couple of early Briggs.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Looks great Ned ! Congratulations,..your hard work has paid off,..the sweet feeling of accomplishment is now your to enjoy.

eddy622611

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ned, your boat turned out great. You should be proud of your accomplishment . I am a little confused though, are you in New Jersey or Rhode Island?
Thanks for sharing , Eddy

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
A MAJOR DITTO!
I dink you should start some kinda classes here in this NJ/PA area. Bet you'll get alot of responses. This info is fading away.

Ned L

Commander
Thank you everyone. Things are still good with her and we have been enjoying her every weekend.
Unfortunately in two weeks she gets pulled for the season,..... Already looking forward to next May! Lol

To answer Eddy,.. I grew up on the Jersey shore only about 25 miles north of where she was built and now I live in north east CT.

I actually have given some talks on the history of NJ lapstrake boat building and the builders (kind of tough, driving 200 miles for a 2 hour presentation). I would love to do more but the distance does make it tough.

Ned L

Commander
Well, ..............Sadly the end of this season is here. She is being pulled tomorrow and brought home for the winter. I still have a bunch of little detail things to finish up over the winter, but I'm glad to be able to say no big "oh crap" moments of disappointment.

Next year she will be going in nice and early and we'll have a full season (beginning of May to end of Oct). I'm already looking forward to that!

For now I'll leave you with these couple of new pictures and a short clip from last weekend.

enhance

enhance

Last edited: