Big wooden boat project [Splashed Sept 2017]

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
hmm and they want a survey ? well I guess that makes sense I guess I will have to get mine surveyed but I am guessing the surveyor will think I built a tank lol,
it was that reason I overbuilt stringers floor and transom, used all uscg approved wiring and gas lines so I shouldn't have a problem id hope

Ned L

Commander
You might not need a survey. Today, pretty much all companies require surveys for good size wooden boats.

Ned L

Commander
A little bit going on. When getting the cover ready for the winter I had a chance to take some pictures of the whole boat. ----- Actually the first time I have seen all of her at once in almost two years. She is definitely looking better.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

She is supposed to have canvass dodgers installed in the "eye" of the curved hand rails. That helps the windshield look less like it is hanging over nothingness.

Here is just hung it loosely to get an idea of how she will look.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I'm pretty pleased.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I have also been working on installing the "fresh water cooling" on the engines. That's been pretty tedious and finicky, taking a couple of heat exchangers off a pair of Crusader V-8's and figuring out where and how to install them on this pair of flat head sixes. And then to figure out how to mount the salt water pumps. Nothing on these engines is belt driven, there are no V belts at all, so I've been figuring out how to handle that.
I should have an update on how all that is going within a week. --- Adding some more shiny copper to the engines!

Thanks for asking!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
onje of my favorite boats all time here man great job ! cant wait to see ya sipping on the deck next summer:0

Tundrahog

Recruit
Ned, I have been "Jonesing"for some new pics!!

Looking great! I was curious if you could use an electric motor/ pump for the Salt water, but then I couldn't see where your generator/alternator is on the engine. Is it 6v or 12v? Would it be able to drive a pump strong enough for what you would need? I am just spit-balling here.

Maybe you could do like the big ships and add a scope underneath for your own cooling (this part is a joke).

drrnjnr

Seaman
I tip my hat to you sir, most excellent build and excellent workmanship, you sir, are an inspiration.

Greetings from The Netherlands.:yo:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Like everyone else here, its great to see some new pictures of that beauty. I think this is one of the first rebuild threads I subscribed to actually. She is definitely a looker, that for sure. :shocked:

Ned L

Commander
I've still been working pretty regularly, .... trying for at least a little bit every day. The project I'm working on now is to add fresh water cooling to the 60 year old engines. I have no idea how they lasted as long as they did for raw water cooled salt water engines, but I'm not going to complain. Everything I've found on the engines seems to indicate they can still have some good life left in them (we'll really find out when she goes in the water next spring).
Some years ago I was given a pair of Sen-dure heat exchangers off a pair of Crusader engines that are in good condition that I thought should be big enough. A call to Sen-dure confirmed that they are plenty large enough. I then had to figure out where and how to install these V8 specific heat exchangers on my 60 year old flat head sixes.
Here is what I started with, ... a matched pair. They are combination heat exchangers/expansion tanks in one.

ry%3D400

Before I could do much of anything I had to figure out how to drive a second water pump off each engine. The Chrysler Crown engines are designed with the water pump and generator gear driven off the cam shaft, so there are no V-belts or pulleys at all on the engines. ........ There is however this small stub on the front of the flywheel (for crank starting them, .......LOL Yea, ... good luck with that!!).

ry%3D400

After a good bit of thinking I came up with the idea of making a custom 'stub shaft' that would slide over this stub and extend out enough to mount a pulley on.

I am lucky where I work to have free access to their machine shop, where I turned a matched pair of shafts.

That let me have some fun here.

ry%3D400

And do a bit of turning and boring.

ry%3D400

And cutting cutting on the Bridgeport milling machine to cut the key ways.

ry%3D400

In the end I had a pair of stub shafts that I could mount some pulley on.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here is the end result.

ry%3D400

This should do the job.

ry%3D400

Step one (of many) finished. That actually was a bit tedious as one engine had a crank stub that was pretty straight, the other one however had quite a taper to it, so I had to bore a matching taper on the inside of the adapter.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Great work Ned. Where do you work where you can access a machine shop? Are you guys hiring? :)

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Great job. I envy you guys that know your way around a Bridgeport and the like. A buddy of mine is a machinist and he has turned out a few real cool things I've needed for my old engine. One was a 3/16 threaded nipple for my recirculating lines. he made it in 15 minutes out of a piece of copper bar. drilling the hole through it with the lathe was my favorite part. Something not right about the drill bit being stationary and the piece spining. Cool stuff going on right there Ned.

I'm sure you have done your research but I have to ask, how did you determine the size of the pulley you will need? That one seems a bit small which means it will run the water pump pretty fast. I'm just comparing your pulley to a standard sized pulley on a harmonic balancer.

Ned L

Commander
Thanks Deepblue. I actually work for a manufacturer of custom electric wire and cable. People there aren't to surprised anymore to see me in 'business casual' (button down shirt etc) on the machines there. It is nice to be able to do my own machining pretty much whenever I need to.

Thanks Pat.

Oh,.... and sorry about the typo's and grammar above.