Big wooden boat project [Splashed Sept 2017]

jsparks747

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Once again, awesome job. It is something you should be proud to shot off. I had to add this though after reading you pulled her out for winter.

Attachments

• photo279557.jpeg
    photo279557.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 0

Ned L

Commander
Lol!

For those who are not familiar with how a bit bigger boats are moved around this is how it goes.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Unfortunately you don't just back the trailer down the ramp and pull the boat on. It is all planed out and scheduled a week or so ahead. The boat mover even has to apply for a permit and log the move with the DOT.
The guy I use is careful, good, and has experience in moving high end wooden boats.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No Title

Yeah, the travelift, I drive the 150 ton one at our marina.

Attachments

• photo265427.jpg
    photo265427.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo272571.jpg
    photo272571.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yup, the largest on Lake Superior!
​I' ve been watching your posts, the boat looks great!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I know much of the design crew at Marine Travel Lift. used to work with most of them at Omniquip. When I worked at Cummins, we used to make the engine packages for them.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I know much of the design crew at Marine Travel Lift. used to work with most of them at Omniquip. When I worked at Cummins, we used to make the engine packages for them.

​Ours has an Allis Chalmers in it, the turbo is going south, but the new one arrived yesterday, installing it next week.
​Yeah sphelps, when I first started on it I was a bit nervous. Now not so much, except when we lift the ferry boats, the strange noises get to ya. When lifting anything, we make sure all pins, and slings are in good shape, safety first!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Great boat man. I do hope you have some winter projects planned for her. Have. great one man

Ned L

Commander
Thank you.

Hmmmm,.....I still have to rebuild the hatches over the engines and plumb in a holding tank (so the head can be used), but that?s about it beyond routine maintenance (painting and varnishing).

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I just went through your restore thread and I'm blow away at the amount of work you accomplished in a really short amount of time. Very impressive work you've done on the big wooden boat!

G

Capt. Ned

First , let me say congratulations on the launching of your gallant ship! It too me 13 years just to get a 22 ft Ray Hunt center console restored, with not nearly the work involved (though I did have to disembowel it like your Hubert).
Earlier in your build, I asked you about the FWC on the Crowns, I thought it was pretty clever the way you incorporated the expansion tanks on the engines.

As a Marine Engineer by profession, I am curious to know what are these crowns running temps with the FWC? (I would imagine around 180 degrees).

Is the FWC cooling the engine block water and the exhaust manifolds?, or just the engine block only?

She lays down a nice flat rooster tail when she's tached up, which means she's a well designed and efficient hull. She looked like the Belle of the Ball at Mystic!

Well Done Sir!, you have given new life to a vessel that will be cherished for years to come! God Bless You! Erich

Ned L

Commander
Thank you (both of you).

The fresh water cooling seems to have worked out very well. I installed them as complete systems (both blocks and manifolds). The only things not fresh water cooled are the final elbows.
Only one termperature gauge was working (the port gauge wasn’t). If correct, the starboard engine was running about 160. Yes, for a modern fresh water cooled engine about 180 -190 would be preferred, but being 60 years old I’m happy with 160. The thermostats are a bit odd in how they work, so I don’t want to push my luck by messing with them.
She does run pretty nicely. The Crown engines are rated at 3600 RPM, and I haven?t pushed them beyond about 2700 yet. I am quite curious how she will run wide open.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Well my 1988 4.3 L V 6 t-stat is 142 degrees and I think similar newer motors run 165.

Ned L

Commander
Well my 1988 4.3 L V 6 t-stat is 142 degrees and I think similar newer motors run 165.

Typically ?raw? water (salt water) cooled engines need to rundown in the ~140 deg range because running them up in the 180-190 range can cause salt buildup problems in the water jackets of the engine. ?Fresh water cooled? engines ( heat exchanger w/ antifreeze) are just like a car and run in the 180-190 deg range, which is better for the engine and better for fuel efficiency.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ned is correct, raw water cooled are run at lower temps to keep the salt from coming out of solution which acts as both an abrasive and a corrosive. FWC or heat exchanged motors run much higher temps which aids in wear and combustion.

motors run at 140 wear faster than motors run at 170. however in a marine environment, the operation of the motor is a compromise. you want a low temp for salt environments for corrosion, for proper fuel vaporization you want a temp closer to 180, and from an emissions point of view, you want to run the motor closer to 220F, however over 200F can be a source of ignition. Fuel injection motors need to run 165 plus simply to get the motor to run right (fuel vaporization). Carbs running at 140 tend to run a tad rich in the lower RPMs.

Neds motors made so many boating seasons ago are a bit different than the motors from 30 years ago and the ones from today.

however they sound amazing dont they

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Not trying to highjack this thread, but just a quick question. So in my mercruiser,140, 1985 vintage, I can run the 160 thermostat as I only run in fresh water? Lake Superior.

Ned L

Commander
I see no problem with a 165 thermostat. The engine should actually be happier. I would suggest just checking that there is nothing near the engine that would mind the additional 20 degrees. The first number of times running with a hotter thermostat you may experience some different smells fromthd engine area as some stuff that has never seen those temperatures cools off.
Thinking about it,..... Not being familiar with your specific engine and installation I would recommend running the idea past a qualified service mechanic as there might be some things I’m not thinking of (exhaust components, computerized ignition settings, etc)

Personally, I don?t mind thread drifts at all.