Popular Mechanics 1962 PM38 Build [SPLASHED 2017]

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
looking good. a little blood in the project to go with the sweat and beers

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I bet there is not one iboater that is working on, or has worked on, their boat project(s) that hasn't shed some blood along the way. I know I have a few times. But we usually don't talk about it in fear of letting others see how stupid we did something. :facepalm:

That would be a good forum topic though. "Stupid Injuries We Received While Working On Our Boats". :eek: :faint2: :crazy: :sorrow: :frusty: :tape::rant::violin: :deadhorse::stupid::crutch:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I bet there is not one iboater that is working on, or has worked on, their boat project(s) that hasn't shed some blood along the way. I know I have a few times. But we usually don't talk about it in fear of letting others see how stupid we did something. :facepalm:

That would be a good forum topic though. "Stupid Injuries We Received While Working On Our Boats". :eek: :faint2: :crazy: :sorrow: :frusty: :tape::rant::violin: :deadhorse::stupid::crutch:

Oh I bet you are 100% right there. And I fully admit this wasn't my smartest move. :facepalm: Just got a little to eager to flip her over. Perhaps it can help another first-time boat builder make a better decision. I am glad it turned out as well as it did in the end without damages (besides some paint scratches) and broken legs. When the time comes to transfer her to the trailer I'll for sure have a few friends over to help lift.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh I bet you are 100% right there. And I fully admit this wasn't my smartest move. :facepalm: Just got a little to eager to flip her over. Perhaps it can help another first-time boat builder make a better decision. I am glad it turned out as well as it did in the end without damages (besides some paint scratches) and broken legs. When the time comes to transfer her to the trailer I'll for sure have a few friends over to help lift.

When I decided to flip my tri-hull, I had my oldest adult son there and I was wanting more help, but we decided to try it anyway. And with the engine host on one end and a come-a-long attached to the breeze-way ceiling rafters on the other end, it flipped so easily I was totally amazed. It didn't have any tendency to move one way or the other. That really surprised me the most. I thought it would try to find its balance point and move to it once it started turning. But it moved only when we moved it. So we got away with it. :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I used old carpet pad when I flipped Miss Morgan, basically I just rolled her over.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Well, I'm just glad I shouldn't have to flip her over again. :) I did have my one and only moving blanket on the floor and I'm sure it helped a bit. In hindsight I should have had one more person there to help. I think that would have been enough. Anyways, moving on...

I've been doing a bit of touch-up of the blue on one of the spray rails that didn't get enough coverage. I also painted the dashboard that same dark navy. I did take a picture of it, or tried, but the lighting made it rather difficult so I'll scrap that one for now. I also set the bow handle on the foredeck to get a feel for what it will look like.
PM38_SidePaint_10.jpg

I cut out the panel for the throttle. Right now it is just rough cut. I still need to round the edges a bit and then sand and paint it.
PM38_SidePaint_14.jpg
The top edge for the seat is also in place but needs some finishing. I am thinking about cutting out a piece of plywood to go along that top edge to make it even with the decking.

I started looking at the back seat but I didn't have enough plywood. I had a couple of scrap pieces I put together just to get a feel for what it will look like. I'm kinda liking it. Just need to get another sheet of plywood. I'm also not happy with the angle of the supports so I'll redo those as well.
PM38_SidePaint_13.jpg

More to come...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You do realize that the day you take her out for a splash, you will get a silly grin from ear to ear that nothing could possible remove, not even cosmetic surgery. The self satisfaction will always be there. Nice project and finish work. :thumb:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
You do realize that the day you take her out for a splash, you will get a silly grin from ear to ear that nothing could possible remove, not even cosmetic surgery. The self satisfaction will always be there. Nice project and finish work. :thumb:

Thank you for the kind words, trust me, I can't wait! I still need a trailer for her, but I came across a local place that supposedly has a nice selection of used trailers so I'll pay them a visit soon.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Looking nice, I didn't realize it had a back to back seat. Very cool!

Thanks! The plans actually don't have anything behind the front seat, just a big open space. But the kids complained that they wouldn't have a place to sit, so I decided to try and duplicate the front seat as a rear-facing one. Should still have plenty of room for the tank and battery back there.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Be sure to make the top of the bench wide enough for people to actually sit back to back. Looks narrow currently, an inch maybe 1.5in...

Looks great. Perfect bow handle

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Be sure to make the top of the bench wide enough for people to actually sit back to back. Looks narrow currently, an inch maybe 1.5in...

Looks great. Perfect bow handle

Thanks! Yeah, it is probably about 1.5 inches, perhaps 1.75 inches. Since your comment i have pondered it a bit and I now have an idea of how I want it to look. I'll work on that next time I get some time and we'll see. I'm thinking somewhere around 6 inches should be enough?

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Here's a fresh picture of the dashboard, and the steering wheel.
PM38_SidePaint_15.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
6 will probably be more then enough.

Although benches instead of back to back seats like Arch's, his look plenty wide enough and narrower then 6in.

When docking, I tend to sort of sit up on the seat back and knee down in the drivers seat cushion, so padded wouldnt be bad either. And padded would be 50-60s wooden boat period correct....

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
6 will probably be more then enough.

Although benches instead of back to back seats like Arch's, his look plenty wide enough and narrower then 6in.

When docking, I tend to sort of sit up on the seat back and knee down in the drivers seat cushion, so padded wouldnt be bad either. And padded would be 50-60s wooden boat period correct....

Ok, I'll play with it a bit when I get to it and see. 6 inches seems to give a nice back to sit on if I need to get a bit higher up. And padding is definitely in the future. Probably some removable cushions of some sort. I'd like something custom made for the seats at some point.

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Loving those awesome vintage accessories! Maybe you could use use a thinish piece of hardwood of your choice with a nice routered bullnose to cap the seat backs instead of plywood? Might be a pain but would cover raw edges and the irregular space left between the multiple angles of the opposing seat backs, but if you could pull it off it would add a beautiful accent to the craft. Just a thought and its definitely your beauty. Also would add strength, but maybe overkill.
​Keep up the great progress!

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Loving those awesome vintage accessories! Maybe you could use use a thinish piece of hardwood of your choice with a nice routered bullnose to cap the seat backs instead of plywood? Might be a pain but would cover raw edges and the irregular space left between the multiple angles of the opposing seat backs, but if you could pull it off it would add a beautiful accent to the craft. Just a thought and its definitely your beauty. Also would add strength, but maybe overkill.
​Keep up the great progress!

Yes, I agree, that would be very nice. Unfortunately I don't have the tools or the know-how to do something like that, so I'll settle for some plywood. :lol: If I can get it the way I want it, I think it will still look ok.

I did pull the plug on a trailer today. So now I just need some extra hands to help move it over to it.
PM38_Trailer_01.jpeg

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking good, things are really coming together! :eagerness: