Popular Mechanics 1962 PM38 Build [SPLASHED 2017]

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Wow, with some sanding that fairing putty gives a nice smooth surface! I'm almost done with starboard side, and the overlap across the bottom. The port side should be easier since I hadn't put any of that white stuff on that side. I may have to order another batch of it before I am completely done. Starboard side needed a lot of help... :)

Scott Danforth, how's that furniture restoration going?

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm paying attention here as I'll need to fair out the same types of bumps and dips in my ply boat build. What type of fairing putty did you use?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, where are the pictures? Remember, it didn't happen without pictures. :lol:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Ok, ok, I'll add some. :laugh:

I'll probably fill in the bow section with a thin layer just so I can sand it as smooth as the rest.
photo254312.jpg

The light green aft section is sanded but I had to fill in a few areas so I'll need to sand some more.
I also filled in the areas in front of it to smooth out the fiberglass strips covering the plywood joint
and the screws into the frames.
photo254314.jpg

This is the overlap across the bottom. I am working on smoothing out in front and behind it. I am
also working on a slight angle of the drop-off itself.
photo254315.jpg

Not sure you can tell very well but this close-up is showing the slight angle of the drop-off.
photo254313.jpeg

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Finished all the striping and sanding of the table and chairs. Made a leaf for the table. Now the wife can finish it tomorrow while dad and I go fishing

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I'm paying attention here as I'll need to fair out the same types of bumps and dips in my ply boat build. What type of fairing putty did you use?

I am using Total Boat TotalFair, a 2-part epoxy fairing putty. I got it from Atlantic Boat Supply via Amazon. So far I'm liking it. It is a bit heavy to work with but it does fill in well and sands to a nice and smooth surface. And it sands very easily which was a nice plus. :)

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Pekstrom, the boat looks great! I was going to ask how you were dealing with the overlap seam on the bottom, but your pictures show the answer pretty clearly.

I had to take a little time away from my build over the past few weeks, but should be getting it going again this week. I'll start a build thread in the next few days.

Scott

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey Pek, the more I look at your project the more I think that you've bitten off more than you can chew, and I'd be happy to come haul her off so you can have your Garage back!!!!:D

Seriously...I look forward to ALL your posts!!! Building a Plywood boat has ALWAYS Been on my Bucket List!!!

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Pek, the more I look at your project the more I think that you've bitten off more than you can chew, and I'd be happy to come haul her off so you can have your Garage back!!!!:D

Seriously...I look forward to ALL your posts!!! Building a Plywood boat has ALWAYS Been on my Bucket List!!!

Lol! I admit there have been several times during this project when I have had those same thoughts. Being my first big wood project I have run into several tasks that seemed quite daunting, but each time I took a step back, thought it through, asked questions here and got some great advice. And that has helped me though so far.

Oh, on that note, once I have the bottom all epoxied up, I do need to install the skid rails before I paint it. One thing that has me a bit concerned is, how do I ensure I get them perfectly straight? I guess the only real straight line I have is the keelson. The chines both bow out as I move forward so that's not a real good reference. The problem with the keelson is that I can't see it through the bottom plywood. :) And the screws have been covered with wood filler. So does anyone have any thoughts? I guess I could drill two small holes through the bottom batten on either side that the skid rails will mate with, and then align them that way? Since I will use marine adhesive to hold them in place that should ensure water tightness. And I can just fill the small holes on the inside afterwards? Does that sound like something that could work? The plans suggest installing them in a way so they can be easily replaced since they are meant to take some of the beating to protect the bottom.

As I have said several times before, all the kind words and great advice from this group is greatly appreciated!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That sounds like i t would work to me, if I am understanding correctly. How do the skid rails mount? Screws in to the keelson?

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
That sounds like i t would work to me, if I am understanding correctly. How do the skid rails mount? Screws in to the keelson?

Ok, I will give it a try once I get there. Each skid rail gets screwed into the outer bottom battens. So as long as those are straight along the keelson I should be good. :) But that also gives me the keelson to align the holes to from the inside so that should work. In hindsight, I should have prepared for the installation of them earlier in the process. But as long as I can align them to the keelson and ensure they run straight I should be good. Famous last words... :laugh:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I find it a bit interesting that in the original article, they just sort of gloss over the skid rail installation. They basically just mention that they should be installed using marine caulk and 1" screws into the outside bottom battens. Nothing about making sure you get them straight. I would imagine if they aren't straight, the boat can be a bit hard to control, especially at higher speeds. Kind of like having the front wheels of a car out of alignment and it pulling to a side...

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What about snapping a chalk line down the center of the hull? You can find the center of the keelson at the transom and bow, then snap a line between them to use as a reference for the skid rail locations? I agree, they have to do something for stability/alignment of the boat in the water, and they should be straight with the keelson. They are also cut at a 13 degree angle .......... so in my mind that would add to stability.